Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R

Hey! I'm a newbie and this is my first post here. I have a soekris 2541 dac and have been enjoying it for a few months now. For novelty, I'm trying to install some new filters. I came across TNT's no-DC filter in post #1833, which seems to be among the community favorites.

I did download the skr file to the dac and restarted the dac as well (no update command, I understand). Now, how do I verify whether filter installation was successful and am listening to the new filters?

My assumption was I should be able to see some change in the filters command output. When I play a 44.1 file I see the following, which is what I saw even before updating filters. Am I doing something wrong?

DIYA_1021filt_DCmode.skr-mixed-44.1-music.png

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
To play my filter you need to push the Filter button so that bank 4 is activated. Now you are playing bank 5 (05 Mixed Phase)

But as you see a 29 DC blocking IIR, you didn't seem to have succeeded in loading the file correctly.

To load a filter file:

When you have promt (#) do command:

Download

and you will see +++++... on the screen - before this times out, using your Terminal application - do "Send file.." or whatever it is called in the app you use.

It should end with something like : xxxyyy byte successfully programmed.

Do a power off/on

If you do "Filters all" you should see the same as in the second attachemnt in post #1833

//

To play my filter you need to push the Filter button so that bank 4 is activated. Now you are playing bank 5 (05 Mixed Phase)

But as you see a 29 DC blocking IIR, you didn't seem to have succeeded in loading the file correctly.

To load a filter file:

When you have promt (#) do command:

Download

and you will see +++++... on the screen - before this times out, using your Terminal application - do "Send file.." or whatever it is called in the app you use.

It should end with something like : xxxyyy byte successfully programmed.

Do a power off/on

If you do "Filters all" you should see the same as in the second attachemnt in post #1833

//

Thanks for responding TNT. Seems like download is succeeding. However filters all command isn't working in my dac
dbg-download-successful.png

dbg-filters-all-not-working.png

@trybeingarun
I did the same comment to Søren many months ago (almost a year) about this issues on dac 2541.
Response was : "The dac2541 do not support custom filters yet, it will probably come at some point...."

To reach this point, first we need to have a new firmware but nothing new in download folder......
Søren also was working on new filter on his own but no news either...
Ask about support and report if you have news about firmware and filters ... 'Soren Kristensen' info@soekris.dk he respond

Fortunatelly i still have a 1541 which support filter flashing ! (i use 1541 (usb) with my main SS amp and 2541 (AES) with tube headphone amp and standard black filter is not bad at all)

Last edited:
@trybeingarun
I did the same comment to Søren many months ago (almost a year) about this issues on dac 2541.
Response was : "The dac2541 do not support custom filters yet, it will probably come at some point...."

To reach this point, first we need to have a new firmware but nothing new in download folder......
Søren also was working on new filter on his own but no news either...
Ask about support and report if you have news about firmware and filters ... 'Soren Kristensen' info@soekris.dk he respond

Fortunatelly i still have a 1541 which support filter flashing ! (i use 1541 (usb) with my main SS amp and 2541 (AES) with tube headphone amp and standard black filter is not bad at all)
Thanks for sharing this. I didn't receive any response to my support email request and was assuming I was doing something incorrectly. I'll continue to wait for the new firmware for my dac!

This is set of 4 filters that successively roll-off from F4 to F7 . This approach making space for roll-off in output stage, cables, speakers etc.
This is also my first common filter for pre7 and rev.7 boards. Working only with 44.1/48kHz.

Attachments

• 1021filt_Nord.zip
    644 bytes · Views: 135
This is set of 4 filters that successively roll-off from F4 to F7 . This approach making space for roll-off in output stage, cables, speakers etc.
This is also my first common filter for pre7 and rev.7 boards. Working only with 44.1/48kHz.
Are you willing to also share the txt files? I'm using the Biquad EQ option in the DAM and that only can be done with TXT filters.
(ps i don't have any interest in reverse engineering your filters :) )
Grtz

Hi everyone. I own Dam 1021-01 0.001% first version board since 2015 0.99firm... still working, heavily modified single end, removed opamps, VREF mod with transistors BC550...
Play chain, pc > amanero > 1021 > DCB1> firstwatt J2 > open baffle altec 608-8g & ta90 & subwoofer since 2010 (altec > Stereo imaging, is amazing and very real-to-life! you can easily hear small changes of the system chain... buffalo dac had digital sound)

Last weekend after many years I wanted to play with new dam firmware and filters. Before trying filters I gave a try upgrading win10 to win11, after an hour I rolled back to win10, win11 sound output is awful, disorted without life etc... or amanero needs new asio384 drivers!
So first I had to remember how to connect through pc serial com port. It took me an hour to find out. My tips for connecting to dam: my motherboard is new asrocK B450 and has COM Port Header (COM1) so I connected my already made 1.5m cable (pay attention >> connect com's RX to dam's TX and com's TX to dam's RX so as to communicate!) and installed dam1021 firmware and 4K filters rev 1.21.

Time for listenning... Something strange happend again the new firmware-filters sounded like win11??? Not exactly! Transparency, analysis, resolution and imaging were amazing, instruments had increddible details and relaxed sound... BIG BUT... extremly narrow soundstage, everything where between the speakers not even on speakers, plus everything where 5 meters behind the speakers... not at all real-to-life. So searching again for different filters I came across 2K flters DIYA_1021filt_noDCmode.skr from TNT post #1833..... so music came to life again (prefer F7-Nos), although I missed the goods of 4K filter!!! Waiting for TNTs 4K edition!

P.S.
Altec 604-8g GPA reconed and Radian diaphragms >>> "These speakers are breathtaking.It can do macro and microdynamics like there is no tomorrow.It brings you the power of the music. It plays effortlessly with an ease that make music seem to flow out of it without a hint of strain.Its got correctness of timbre,startling transients,low distortion at all volumes,clarity and coherency. Clean and powerful bass,realism and prescence,detail,excellent tonal balance and dynamic contrast not to mention an immense sounstage. The highs are sweet and airy, the midrange seemless,clear and lush, the bass powerful, tight and bouncy.The cymbals shimmer, the drums played with weight and body, the horns sound like real horns and the reeds sound reedy. The strings are sweet and airy, voices sound like real voices, guitar strings actually vibrate. I can go but you get the picture."

Last edited:
Same level (= within 0,1 dB) is important if you really are serious about a comparison. Measure output when playing a 1khz sinus?

//
Difference 1khz sinus 1.5db measured by analog meter and mobile.
F4 share same philosophy with soekris new filters. Is like sitting backseat... Listening with headphones maybe is better! Depth of an orchestra is bigger compared to the forward sound (sitting first raw!) of F5-6-7.
F4 needs to crank up the volume 10-20% so as to enjoy it, not for low volumes listening. But again feels like there is a veil between listener and music.

OK! So you tune the volume knob up 1,5 dB for F4 when you compare!?

I always buy tickets to 10th row, center ;-)

There are many synergies in a sound system and we must all do our choices and understand which component is the limiting one...

//
F4 needs to crank up the volume 10-20% so as to enjoy it, not for low volumes listening. But again feels like there is a veil between listener and music.