Field Coil a new frontier to explore or just another history rewind ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,
I couple of web site like in 47labs or oswald web site they talking and highly recomended field coil as an alternative they even (47labs) offrer to changed the permant magnet from ALTEC 515 to field coil. this trigger me to think is this a worhty to try or just waste the time ? any thought or opinion ????????????

IMO Isn't all this just a case of what's old is new again. Trying to revisit memory lane soothes the soul of some, but to me it's a bit like walking backwards.
Just adding more copper wires and another noise source isn't it. Besides electromags are not very green are they? I say cut all the wires!

Field coil drivers, if properly built, designed and employed, stand a chance of being the highest fidelity drivers in existence.

I will not share why I say that, but to those who understand the issues of a standard ferric, alnico, neo or whatever kind of 'permanent magnet' driver that may be considered..those folks know that the field coil design has some serious advantages.

Field coil drivers, if properly built, designed and employed, stand a chance of being the highest fidelity drivers in existence.

Hi KBK,
My ear and eyes all ready to hear or read anything you can share

to anyone else any sugestion apreciate especially if any formula to made a DIY field coil driver

It might be more intresting that someone explain in a technical way what would be tha advantage of field coil VS permanent magnet

I am sure that we can read on goodsound club a CTRL+C / CTRL+V commentaries of a competent guy that Romy had appropriate for himself as a personnal thinking about the subject

Although i don't want to go on that website, I don't support these methods

So if someone is kind enough to take the time to explain it would be great

Thanx

Others beat me to the punch but Qes was primarily what I meant. I think KBK was eluding to some of the characteristics of permanent magnets that have led to "magnet wars" on the boards. Things such as grain size and orientation, susceptibility to temporary and permanent demagnetization etc. As I recall the parameter shifts due to high voice coil current differed much like the overload characteristics of triodes, pentodes and transistors differ.

I am not really well versed in magnetic theory and practice to comment on it but would enjoy seeing a discussion of the characteristics of electromagnets v.s. the other common types.

Originally field-coil drivers were introduced to save cost. In older tube radios they usually served for the smoothing of the plate-voltage as well. This was of course not optimal but it was definitely cost saving in times when electronics were not just something that you just buy and throw away shortly thereafter.

But back to the advantages of today's field coil drivers:

1) Absolutely no demagnetisation
2) capability of driving the iron into saturation
3) Ability to set Qes at will

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.