fibreglass line array

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello people,

I have a crazy idea in my head and i wanted to find out whether it can actually become reality!

I love the look of the Fohhn LX150 portable line array speakers and want to replicate the design of them as close as possible. I haven't really designed speakers boxes before, let alone a quality line array but i've been reading a tonne over the last couple days and wanted to possibly try!

my 2 problems are weight and SPL. the boxes will need to be lightweight (no more than 10kg) and loud (but as crystal clear as possible)

MDF, Birch plywood etc are out of the questions as they will need to be put on stands made out of acrylic and will only withstand a certain amount of weight.

I was thinking more of fibreglass...a nice thick layer of fibreglass which will be pretty tough! and extremely lightweight. is fibreglass a practical material?

Next, the speaker drivers...I'm quite lost as to which ones to look at but i was looking at

FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 4FE32
or
FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 3FE22

both have a good frequency response throughout most of the range but will i still need any tweeters in the array and if so where? the centre? Im not great at audio theory unfortunately!

I'll need help on crossovers as well.

I'm not trying to build the exact fohhn speaker, I'm just trying to build something that is very respectable in sound and something that will look good on stage. I perform at around 100 gigs a year, in lots of different types of venues. I currently have the FBT vertus system and to be honest i'm not very happy with it. Before these i had the very first bose L1 system which was much better in my opinion.

Thanks for any help.

Sal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.