FF165WK as woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would not buy them to use them as such, not to say they could not do a fair job within their own limits. I do own a pair of FF225WK and have crossed-them over to various tweeters anywhere from 1.5kHz to 15kHz, but they have been ran as fullrange with helper tweeters the majority of the time. If either the 165 or 225 has to have a low-pass filter, I'd at least suggest going active for best results IMO.

IG

Thank's..
My first message was not specific enough..
The goal is to find a driver (around 6 pouces) with paper cone, Mms as low as possible, Le as low as possible, sensibility around 90 db, using in MLTL or MLTL Bipole.
I did not find any other candidates at reasonably price..
I am aware that it is a shame to use a fullrange for that.
My belief is that a driver with low Mms and low Le sounds better in bass.
Is that true ?
I don't know, but that's what I noticed at listening, better impulse, better details,
less streaking.. I'am not sure about "streaking", I would say then it's boom, it's not boooom. Maybe you say dynamic ?
Phil.
Use up 200 hz..

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't know enough about driver parameters and how they specifically relate to certain performance characteristics, but I would guess that a low mass would equate to ability to accelerate the cone rapidly based on Newton's Second Law (F=ma). The inductance may have more to do with ultimate high frequency response rather than transients? I am not sure about that one. I could run a simulation in AkAbak and change just the Le and see what it does to the impulse response. That might be interesting.

I don't know enough about driver parameters and how they specifically relate to certain performance characteristics, but I would guess that a low mass would equate to ability to accelerate the cone rapidly based on Newton's Second Law (F=ma). The inductance may have more to do with ultimate high frequency response rather than transients? I am not sure about that one. I could run a simulation in AkAbak and change just the Le and see what it does to the impulse response. That might be interesting.

I think Mms can be offset by a higher BL, but there is a limit to this at some point. I'm thinking Le is better kept low, but then again, it seems like other factors dominate driver behavior at low-frequency operation. What about plain ol' Qes? Seems like good damping goes hand-in-hand with impulse response, or is this incorrect?

In any case, if low Mms and Le are desired by the OP, either 165 or 225 are good candidates assuming all the other criteria of consideration fit the bill, I will not question the design at this point. :) Heck I was thinking of a midbass application for my FF225WK, but only because I already have it and don't want to be buying extra drivers at this moment.

IG

Hi all,
I make predict with MJ King sheet, (MLTL FF165WK) with differents Le..
It's change a little, but it's not significative, I think ?
Thank's for comment.
Phil.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nor would I. They're wideband drivers, designed to that remit. You can tune them moderately low, but they won't equal a quality midbass when used for that purpose.

I had the same thought. Did anyone get a chance to listen to the 'wide band with helper tweeter' designs from Zu Audio and Tekton. All these employ large diameter widerangers similar to the FF225WK. Understandably, due to higher efficiency than a usual BW limited midbass driver, these widebanders need much larger cabinets for the similar LF extension.

Agreed these have high efficiencies (at the cost of a large-huge box), but do these actually have better sound clarity or transient respone (if loaded in the same cabinet design) than a more usual BW limited midbass driver ??!!

Dan Wiggins's short writeup on the subject: http://www.diy-audio.narod.ru/litr/WooferSpeed.pdf

As a few [over] general pointers, moving mass & outright motor power determine efficiency, or at least a significant part thereof. System Q in essence defines transient response within the acceleration BW (< the mass corner). Within the mass-controlled BW, VC inductance as described in the link becomes the dominant factor.

Where things begin to get more complicated is with drivers designed to employ controlled resonance to extend their upper BW. Wideband drivers, fall into this category. Even the nominal piston / mass-controlled region is to some extent affected by this unless the higher frequencies are filtered out, & it's a somewhat different matter since we're then into the details of the suspension & cone design, their resonant / emittance characteristics etc. Short version though: if you want good transient response, aim for low VC inductance & a wide BW. Higher Le drivers will likely need a lower XO frequency.

Somewhat related and originally from the Fullrangedriver.com forum, I'll post this here for kicks. There are some missing images eaten by Imageshack, but there is enough still. Member "hitsware" also completely filled a small fullrange's cone with some kind of caulk and it still emitted a fair amount of HF according to him.

I did my version of this test. Test mule was a Pioneer A11, which I stuck in a 20" by 30" foam board as a baffle, and dropped this over a small bucket with a large car wash mitten in the bottom. Disregard the response under ~50Hz. Blue trace is always natural response with no added mass.

I used some blue-tak to add mass, about 15g of it. I first measured the response with no added mass, then with a ring of the blue-tak around the dustcap.

Then I tried the same wad of blue-tak, but around the cone periphery.

The goal with such placement of the added mass was to affect radiating area the least. No doubt this is not perfectly so and the blue-tak likely affected some break-up modes. We can clearly see a large loss in midrange sensitivity, but not so much in the HF. I've also included the impulse response. I actually did the test with incremental added mass, 3.75g, 7.5g and then 15g, but it was a clear progression so I just showed the 15g traces.

IG

Dan Wiggins's short writeup on the subject: http://www.diy-audio.narod.ru/litr/WooferSpeed.pdf

Short version though: if you want good transient response, aim for low VC inductance & a wide BW. Higher Le drivers will likely need a lower XO frequency.

Thanks for that link.
Just to clarify, the "transient response" you mention, that is improved by a lower Le, will manifest only as the high frequency extension of the driver(before cone break-up modes), if I got this right.
However the transient response in the bass region still is only governed by the system Q, as determined by the cabinet design...and I guess should not differ between two systems with the same Q, but different drivers with varying Le.

Is this correct ? Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.