Fern & Roby Raven $$$ single driver full range

If you drop the height down to the floor, without the stands, add a slight block under the front for focus perhaps 36" @ 7', you could have 1 to 1.618 ratios on the original Raven.

but people like narrower speakers.
And maybe it is more of a mltl being so pipe like, picking up a bit of resonance to fill in baffle step.............

And these are 8.5k US dollars, not 85k, big difference.
I’m sure people got what I wrote, no matter the nomenclature and punctuation. The price is further up the thread for everyone.
But thanks for teaching me the correct way.

Driver height is important for getting over furniture and getting the best use of the cone of acceptable sound.
Tilting back is a compromise and a hack.
It shouldn’t be necessary with the target group and audience for such an expensive speaker.
The extra height would have meant more space for tuning the lows and for adding stiffening and weight to the bottom.

For me using golden ratios, to get the 8" driver up at ear height, it would take a 39" tall box, then 24" wide, then 15" deep (or 24" deep and 15" wide, up to you), that's 6.5ft3 of area. Qts .4 8" full range drivers would port fine at 3ft3.

I'm sure many more of Raven iii will sell versus the Raven i.

Last edited:
Even using the stock FA22 (as oppopsed to a custom one [minimum 1000 pieces?]), you could not diy this loudspeaker for $500. Solid wood and Richlite.

dave
Yeah the Richlite isn't cheap.

I don't know if anyone has done any acoustic tests on the material, but its a North American alternative to Panzerholtz. Richlite is made from recycled cardboard (if memory serves) and they don't talk about the resin, except that they market the material as being environmentally friendly.

You can get it in various thicknesses and there are some who have picked up scraps from fabricators and used them.
I started to crunch the numbers, but if you were to build a case out of Richlite, you're looking at a couple of grand in materials alone.
(Not including fabrication costs.) They sell a partial sheet (2' x 2') and price will vary by thickness and design/material.

I did a quick calc.. one material is like $120 a sq ft so a 32sq ft ( 4x8) sheet would be $3800. Blue Canyon which is a solid color all the way thru ... 1" thick is $320 for a 2x2 sheet. That's $80 sq ft. So 8x4 is ~ $2500 USD a sheet.

So if you were to do a DYI... Unless you're a real pro in wood working or CAD / CNC ... you're going to build a test box first before using the good stuff.
So yeah... its going to be expensive.

^ maybe I'm old fashioned but when I hear tenon I think of the traditional joint used to join two pieces of wood. Biscuit joints are just biscuit joints, nothing special as far a function or skill required to fabricate.

Going from memory you have Tenons, splines and biscuits.
Tenons are part of the frame material. Splines are separate from the two pieces being joined. Biscuits are well biscuits..

And, then there’s Festool Dominos. I was a bit of a skeptic at first, but after trying them for myself on a dresser cabinet project about 3 years ago, I’m definitely sold. Vastly superior strength to biscuits, dowels or pocket screws - just hellishy expensive for the tool.

I can't afford this hobby at these prices...I'd have to quit eating to finance such an operation.
To me, $8500.00 for any pair of speakers is outrageous, and telling me they are only 1/10 the price of something else doesn't make them more affordable.
Signed,
Old man yelling at the clouds.

Mike

Keeping in diyaudio spirit..............

Get the tang band w8-2145, make a notch circuit.
https://www.parts-express.com/Tang-...ne-Full-Range-Driver-8-Ohm-264-960?quantity=1
Pay a car audio store to build you a 3ft3 ported box.
2 boxes shouldn't be more than $500.
Or pay a buddy to build boxes, use void free 3/4" plywood.

Just make 1 at a time if money is tight.

But you are right, for $8,500, I'd get either a pair of Revel f208 (on sale) / jbl classic L100 / or jbl 4722n.......... and a pair of 18" rythmik subwoofers.

I can admire the woodwork, but the niche market for any of the ravens at that price is awfully small......

Last edited: