Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 Reissue Clean Up

When my son bought this amp (on his own without me checking it out) he was playing out
with a style that it was a good fit for. He says that now he doesn't need all the power and
distortion since he's moved toward more of a blues style and he wants a light tube amp like
a Princeton or Blues Jr.
He visited today and brought the amp for me to try to sell for him but he also said that no
matter what he tries he just can't get a good tone out of it, not even a nice clean sound. The
number 1 input jack has loosened up again, it is the plastic type and this time I'll probably
change it to an all metal type.

If this amp had a reputation for sounding good the logical thing would be to fix it, but I've
spent a lot of time studying the schematic and it is so complex with relays, a drive channel
that sounds bad, and on and on that it seems like gutting it and changing it to a simpler
design that's known to sound good might be the way to go.
I have a feeling that it won't be easy to sell, so perhaps gutting it and building an eyelet board
based hardwired Bassman in it would make the most sense. He has very nice pedals that'll do
reverb so the rebuild could be a very simple one.

Last edited: