Fender Bassman AA864 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bill,

7 to 10 volts isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. I doubt you can hear that difference, and as Enzo said, if it sounds good to your ears, stop fixing it cuz it ain't broke. Congrats on your build, and thanks for checking in with the update.

Cheers

Poacher,

Thank you for the reassurance. After posting I took a break, stepped back, came back, looked at the load lines and realized the truth in what you are saying.

I just finished fitting the front and rear grills (that I'm not completely thrilled with) and doing some touch up paint on the cabinet. Other than putting it in the box tomorrow I think I'm done :).

Thanks again,

Bill

Good for you Bill.

If I recall correctly, the variance is 10 - 20 percent from listed voltages,
so there is a lot of play there. The choke is there with the caps to
get some clean voltage in the amp.

What speakers are you using with the amp?

Also you have to post pics of your work so others can
see and learn. ; )

It sounds like you are fine. So you now that you have this
finished you'll play for a while, then you want your next build?

I never got around to posting pics...oh well, I dont' think you
needed them. Did you find the layout?

Cheers,

Here are some pictures, got everything put together this morning.

With this my son should have available 5 watts with the tube amp built into his current amp/speaker cabinet and 22 or 45 watts (with a tube change and re-biasing) by plugging this new amp into the speaker. Should cover everything from practicing to recording to small gigs to larger gigs.

Thank you for the advice,

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 87
470r may as well not be there...
I'm thinking more of rodding everything out though constantly haha, use metal films of course in noisey areas don't dare use ridiculous high carbon comp somewhere like etc
I Don't hate Carbon comps but damn sure as heck ran into/noticed some hellish noise with some haha

Last edited:
What Couplings you using?
Picked up some old STK KP80s Film&Foil PP threw in the Stealth Oh my God..how much more smoother/ridiculous clarity/detailed/Life.
Really makes a lot of polyester and metalized really sound absolutely horrible in comparison...quite shocking of a difference. Or maybe I just think Most polyester sounds awful I don't know...
I swear there is some startling differences with coupling/decoupling all that.

Last edited:
Audiofreak,

Thank you for your comments. I tried to mix it up with the caps. The first filter caps are F+T electrolytic, the next three are Solen polypropylenes, in the tone stack are an orange drop, silver micas, and polystyrene. The cathode bypass caps are Sprague atoms, and the coupling capacitors are Jupiter "vintage tone" mylar with aluminum foil. Hopefully this weekend when I go to visit my son and deliver it I will find out if it sounds worth a darn(!).

Bill

Audiofreak,

Thank you for your comments. I tried to mix it up with the caps. The first filter caps are F+T electrolytic, the next three are Solen polypropylenes, in the tone stack are an orange drop, silver micas, and polystyrene. The cathode bypass caps are Sprague atoms, and the coupling capacitors are Jupiter "vintage tone" mylar with aluminum foil. Hopefully this weekend when I go to visit my son and deliver it I will find out if it sounds worth a darn(!).

Yeah was thinking you probably had Polystyrene in there. , yeah Sprague Atom's I know are pretty good..and a lot Rave about them Solen's..sure Jupiter's are nice too.
I'm sure it will sound real Nice xD

I almost picked up some Solen's or wanted to try some of the Red/Yellow Astron's etc haha, I swear the STKs are a notch above usual Orange Drop though I **** you not haha

Last edited:
I will say, coming from the hi-fi perspective, it was hard to put in the mylar, especially as coupling, but....I was nervous about making it too "sterile" or clean (I think is how many described it).

I like that, the better caps sounds so good even at lower volumes/ideal thinking home Audio/Hi-Fi etc haha...Maybe I just listened to chocka blocked full of Polyester/Mylar for so long. haha
Not sure how Sterile is described/sounds like, what like real Bright/Ice-pick/Harsh? I can understand the more Cleaner/Clarity/Balance though sounds so good.

Last edited:
Last edited:
watched the video last night, I agree :).

Looks like a very fun set-up.

haha

damn dead B string I hate that **** haha,
that was a great 6l6 neeeya drive sound though/better anyways, usually fighting 6l6 drive sounds.. input plate at 200k...need some more resistors was definitely more in the super 800/SLO realm though haha
those STKs/Brownies really brought it to life haha

Now I see why People go insane/Rave about Them Wild/Ethereal Clean sounds xD

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.