female musicians-

I thought Marina Poplavskaya in "La Traviata" was a disaster, an absolute disgrace to Met Opera ticket holders. Would avoid any Italian opera she's in.

Holding my breath to see what happens with Sondra Rodvanosky and "Il Trovatore" this Saturday. Being from the Midwest, a little Illinois mixed in with Italian doesn't bother me. I am positively dispositioned as she has a negative of Luc Bondi's "Tosca".

She's okay Bud, but doesn't have the Alizee moves or that extra something that French women have ;) I don't speak it at all so I'm not biased, but French women are yummy! lol.. Go to Montreal and you'll see what I mean :)

In the player from her Little Lights cd..

YouTube - Kate Rusby - Who Will Sing Me Lullabies

They are indeed, check out the one who mentored Alizee - the exquisite Mylène Farmer

Avant Que L'ombre - check out the set too, the curtain of falling water is astounding on the DVD, doesn't quite come off on a YouTube video.

Pas Le Temps De Vivre - watch how the audience empathises - she has them absolutely rapt, constantly.
The song was for her brother who was killed in a car crash not long before the tour.

**** Them All - she is an accomplished equestrienne, model, actress and queen of her own empire, acknowledged French goddess.

Dégénération

Tous Ces Combats

This takes so long as I have to listen to each song all the way through, can't bear to cut her short.

Nous Souviendrons Nous. This one passed me by for a long time. She sang it on her last tour at the Brussels venue and I wondered why she had included it and thought it must be a new song. Now I think it is one of her best creations.

Technically she is not a musician but she is so much more than a singer. She does play piano and guitar but never on any of her songs.

Puisque. There used to be a wonderful version of this recorded at her first concert but it appears to have been pulled.

Ainsi Soit Je.

While it is rather a trademark she is not always that tragic/gloomy.
She was very young when she did this performance, a Juliet Greco original.
Janet Jackson moment at 3:53 :)

A more recent version where she manages to send herself up rather expertly. 3:11 is a scream :)
"et doigté indeed" :D

Last one, a bit more serious, Comme J'ai Mal

I can and often do listen to her all day long but here is a swerve:

La Minute De Silence by the delightful Mrs. Johnny Depp. A lot of history behind that which I wont't delve in to here and now.

Hiromi Uehara my favorite crazy-haired piano ninja.

YouTube - Hiromi Uehara - The Tom and Jerry Show

Thanks for that, she's off the wall.

The lovely Zhao Cong, , flying dance YouTube - ????? 720HD?06 - ???? / ?? ?? / 2010????
from new talks of pipa the CD is much better than you tube with plenty of dynamic range.
Blue sky over blue sea YouTube - ????? 720HD????? / ?? from her sound of china CD She has another CD the sad aobao with some great melancholy tracks, no examples available, I must have obscure tastes!

Jun mayazumi from the 60's with Dou no iru nanika go okiru YouTube - Jun Mayuzumi - Doyounoyoru Nanikagaokiru.wmv

Zhong TingTing is one of my favourite Pipa Players - first saw this video of her and was knocked out - she fluffed the end and just smiled and inclined her head serenely.
There were other videos but they are getting increasingly difficult to find.
I wrote to her agents to try and buy the DVD of the Tokyo show but it was out of print - if 'print' is the right term? I did however receive a very nice letter from TingTing along with a pile of promotional material.
I have all her CDs and a wonderful DVD of her on a holiday on a northern Japanese island.
She is very serene in herself and although the DVD is all in Japanese with no subtitles it is an absolute joy to watch.

^^ Zhao Cong is incredible. I have her "Dance In The Moon" CD but haven't managed to get any of the others yet.

Yes she certainly plays some gems, The hero of Heaven and earth is my current favourite, heavy metal pop pipa a real house shaker. Why the flowers are so Red is a warped melancholy round played by a quartet comprising of pipa guzheng hulasi erhu.

This interview of hers is nice YouTube - interview met Zhao Cong
Some of her other CD's
Carmen, (Jazzy flamenco style) The sad ababao (melancholy Central asian music), New talks of pipa ( Modern, like dance in the moon but less pipa) she also plays on the CD Lin Hai and friends. All are very well packaged and produced with both Chinese and English liner notes which is strange as they appear to be only available in China. Amazon JoYo had them all and they ended up costing less than a local CD even with express delivery which was quicker the local mail (2 1/2 days from Beijing)

Thanks for that, excellent interview. I had heard that she is quite down to earth and the interview seems to reinforce that.
I got the "Dance In The Moon" CD from her Danish recording engineer but haven't had any luck with another yet. Tried CD Japan and her publisher but had no response.

I have bought CDs by another Pipa player, Zhong TingTing - the first Pipa player I saw and still the one I like best although her style is dissimilar to that of Zhao Cong. She is much more serene (most of the time).

Those CDs cost £50 each with the import duty :(
I have a DVD of her on holiday on a small Japanese island, all in Japanese, or Chinese, never too sure which, no subtitles. My daughter and I have watched it right through several times, absolutely captivated, she is just so nice. Only plays a couple of tunes through the whole thing unfortunately.

I have bought CDs by another Pipa player, Zhong TingTing - the first Pipa player I saw and still the one I like best although her style is dissimilar to that of Zhao Cong. She is much more serene (most of the time).
Those CDs cost £50 each with the import duty :(
I have seen Zhong Ting Ting on bossa's you tube channel before, cute. Her vocal style is similar to Tong li YouTube - ???? by ?? Tong Li
very sweet. There is another artist with a similar name song xinxin YouTube - ??????? who is a brilliant Guzheng player (no CD's unfortunately). For me I like the fiery pipa players, Zhang hongyan is a lot of fun.
Japanese music is fixed price and shipping can be expensive, Amazon, ebay and yes asia are suppliers who I have tried. Korean and Chinese Music is much better value.
I bought a CD from the Chinese guzheng artist Yuan Sha with only one tune on it complete with a hardbound book of sheet music for that song a poster and an interview. That cost $30. Luckily the tune was 14 minutes long.

If you are still interested in getting Zhao Congs CD's PM me for details on how to set up an account on amazon.cn and where to find them on the site (very similar to the US and Japanese sites) The last parcel of 6CD's from there cost around $70.