Feedback artifacts, cars and semantics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ultima Thule said:
SE,

what is by your definition/subjective opinion an amplifier without any kind of global nor local feedback?
(for clarity I mean an amplifier which don't have any other kind of feedback more then around every each single stage which sets the gain for every each amplifier stage, just like for instance a VAS alone.)

Or don't they exsist?

You're taking this quite far afield.

The issue is simple. Charles claimed that the Sziklai pair has more feedback than the Darlington pair.

I'm simply trying to find a definitive answer as to whether or not this is true. And so far I haven't really seen anything definitive. And I don't consider "You're wrong. Go read a book" to be a definitive answer.

Since Charles made the original claim, then I guess it's Charles' definition of feedback that you'll want to get.

Perhaps Charles can give an example using a specific transistor pair and describe the process of determining how much feedback a Sziklai and Darlington pair each have and state the amount of feedback in dB.

se

phase_accurate said:
O.K. I'll take the risk of being flamed and agree with what somone else already mentioned:

Why would you be flamed?

The darlington is consisting of two stages each with 100% feedback while the CFP has 100% feedback as well but this is forming a feedback loop around TWO stages. This leads to the disadvantage of decreased stability. The advantage however is that voltage gain can be made greater than 1, if feedback is reduced (and your circuit is made to take advantage of that).
I think none of them can be called better than the other. It is all depending on HOW they are used.

My involvement in the issue hasn't anything to do with which is "better." All I want is a definitive answer as to the claim that the Sziklai has more feedback than the Darlington.

se

AKSA said:
I now exclusively use the DEF, although on my Class A SE amp I use a CFP with bipolar/mosfet. Go figure.......

And it's in a single-ended amp that I'm using the CFP (though I'm using a JFET/bipolar combination) which I found to work best for me in this particular situation compared to half a dozen or so different follower combinations.

But still there has been no definitive answer as to whether the CFP employs more feedback than the Darlington.

se

john curl said:
Today's devices can be faster, but the feedback pair creates the same potential problem, whatever the devices. It can be a problem, BECAUSE it has a feedback loop, AND it can be unstable without a dominant pole being created.

There isn't any argument that there is a feedback loop. But there's negative feedback in the Darlington pair as well as the simple emitter follower.

But there has yet to be a definitive answer as to whether the CFP employs more feedback overall than the Darlington.

The CFP tends to be a bit more linear than the Darlington, but I'm wondering whether that's due to the CFP employing more feedback or because of the use of complimentary devices.

se

Re: Which has more feedback?

SY said:
Steve, FWIW, I don't see it, either. The beta of the composite connection is the same either way, so the feedback when used as a follower should be the same.

Yeah. And the same would seem to hold true even if you look at the devices as transconductance devices.

But my confidence in that notion isn't much greater than my confidence in Charles' notion. Which is why I'd really like to see a truly definitive answer rather than all this "gut level" stuff. And while I've been looking for some time, I've yet to come across a truly definitive answer.

se

................I got your definitive answer! :D

Attachments

• co_fi080.gif
    co_fi080.gif
    44.6 KB · Views: 424
Re: Re: Which has more feedback?

Steve Eddy said:
(...)Which is why I'd really like to see a truly definitive answer rather than all this "gut level" stuff.

Hi guys,

I've got some Middlebrook loop gain stuff for the CFP ready to post in the other thread. I don't know about a "definitive answer", since there's a huge variety of different operating points, etc for the CFP. But I was surprised at how low the loop gain of this particular CFP was.

Re: Re: Which has more feedback?

Steve Eddy said:
And while I've been looking for some time, I've yet to come across a truly definitive answer.

Hey Steve,

Didja ever look at Douglas Self's web site:

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/discrete/cfp.htm

The previous page in his discourse discusses the emitter follower. The page linked above discusses the CFP. He says:

"The simple emitter-follower is lacking both in linearity and load-driving ability. The first shortcoming can be addressed by adding a second transistor to increase the negative feedback factor by increasing the open-loop-gain. This also allows the stage to be configured to give voltage-gain, as the output and feedback point are no longer inherently the same. This arrangement is usually called the Complementary Feedback Pair (hereafter CFP) though sometimes known as the Szilaki configuration." (emphasis mine)

But hey, maybe you think Douglas Self is some sort of tweaky low-life too... who knows?

Charles Hansen

Re: Re: Re: Which has more feedback?

Charles Hansen said:
Hey Steve,

Didja ever look at Douglas Self's web site:

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/discrete/cfp.htm

The previous page in his discourse discusses the emitter follower. The page linked above discusses the CFP. He says:

"The simple emitter-follower is lacking both in linearity and load-driving ability. The first shortcoming can be addressed by adding a second transistor to increase the negative feedback factor by increasing the open-loop-gain. This also allows the stage to be configured to give voltage-gain, as the output and feedback point are no longer inherently the same. This arrangement is usually called the Complementary Feedback Pair (hereafter CFP) though sometimes known as the Szilaki configuration." (emphasis mine)

Yes, I've read that page.

But did you read this page?

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/ampins/discrete/ef.htm

When Self says "The simple emitter-follower" he's referring to an emitter-follower using a SINGLE transistor.

To wit:

This page deals only with simple emitter-followers, ie those with one transistor as the actual follower.

Since this discussion has to do not with the Sziklai versus a single-device "simple emitter-follower" but a Darlington pair, what you quote above is comparing apples to oranges.

So how 'bout we compare the Darlington to the "simple emitter-follower"?

The Darlington also adds a second transistor. The Darlington also is more linear than the "simple emitter-follower." Does the Darlington not achieve this improved linearity in the same fashion that the Sziklai does? I.e. by "increasing the open-loop gain"?

If not by increasing the open-loop gain, then by what mechanism DOES the Darlington achieve its greater linearity over the "simple emitter-follower"?

But hey, maybe you think Douglas Self is some sort of tweaky low-life too... who knows?

Grow up, Charles.

se

Charles Hansen said:
Hey I guess that old saying is true!

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

What would you like me to drink, Charles? The apple juice you're selling as orange juice?

Just answer the question. How does the Darlington manage to have increased linearity over the simple emitter-follower? Is it via the same mechanism as the CFP (i.e. increasing the open-loop gain) or is it some other mechanism?

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.