Feedback affects Soundstage, Imaging, Transients ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
P.S. What IS IT with "feedback", among some in the audio crowd?! Can you imagine a similar cult in the weapon systems crowd

Bob explained that in an earlier post:

It is important to recognize that there are very bad amplifier examples of every genre. People who do not know how to apply feedback properly will indeed be fully capable of producing a poor-sounding amplifier. People who start with a junk design and then expect to make it sound good by applying negative feedback will also produce a poor-sounding amplifier.

Emphasis mine

There is too much of that going around lately, even (or especially) among "Big Box" designers. Fix your open loop design first, not cover your mistakes with NFB. Hear enough lousy amps designed in that manner, and everyone assumes it's the NFB, not the misuse of NFB, that's the cause of the problem.

The problem with the "audio crowd" isn't that they're stupid: it's that they know many things that just ain't so.

gootee,
change is a fundamental signal property. The signal changes constantly and suddenly. Transient distortion is created when amplifier components cannot handle the rate of change of the signal; an uncontrolled burst of energy containing of intermodulation products and noise, completely unrelated to the signal, that`s why it sounds awful. Another cause of transient distortion is insufficiencies and disturbances in the power supply. And switching transient - the worst kind of all.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi,

A 100% correct observation, that´s due to time errors and disrupted phase relationships.

Large amplitude-high frequency-short duration signals are not transients, just ordinary music signals. Transients are distortion of oscillatory nature, often as a result of insufficient circuit response, originated from various mechanisms, some of them intimately associated with global feedback, which is the main cause of instability, reduced bandwidth, compressed dynamic range, degraded signal handling capability, slew-limiting, decreased dynamic margins, increased susceptibility to overloading, overdrive, overshoots, clipping, voltage peaks, spikes, surges and so on...giving the proper hard, cold, lifeless, unmusical low-THD-sound.

My goodness, how can so much misinformation and ill-informed opinion be packed into so few words.

Clearly you are either just trolling or you are trying to make a joke. On both counts you have not done a good job.

Last edited:
How exactly does that make it "play dull"?

With your typical capacitor input power supply, the mains power isn't even in the circuit the majority of the time. The majority of the time the amplifier is being powered from the reservoir capacitance.

So how does that translate into "playing dull"?

se

Dull; poor 3d imaging, poor attack in the mid-low area.

I don’t know exactly but my ears don’t lie. I suppose at the time capacitors are conducting, the mains has to charge the cap's AND feeding the amplifier. Even this is a small part in time, it has influence. IMO there must be a balance between mains current speed and buffer capacity/ESR. Better would be to reduce ripple with a choke like used in tube amp's.

Have you listened to a single ended triode amp with a feedback adjuster, giving typically up to about 8dB of global negative feedback, IIRC some of the Cary models (805?)
Many prefer these amps without feedback at all.

Hi Hugh,
I agree that people may prefer amps with low or no feedback, this is subjective and everybody is free in his tastes and choices.
I completely disagrees when one tries to support these opinions with an unfunded technical argument such that high NFB amps should be unable to correctly reproduce transients. It's an evident point that people having such claims never demonstrate them with objective facts.
Regards.

Hi Hugh,
I agree that people may prefer amps with low or no feedback, this is subjective and everybody is free in his tastes and choices.
I completely disagrees when one tries to support these opinions with an unfunded technical argument such that high NFB amps should be unable to correctly reproduce transients. It's an evident point that people having such claims never demonstrate them with objective facts.
Regards.

People do try to find correlation between measured parameters and listening expertise, by introducing non-standard metrics, like Rnonlin.
What is also has been demonstrated, that simple combination of THD and IMD has NO correlation with listening results.
These newly proposed metrics are not easy to calculate, so they are not popular. Moreover, they play against interests of many mass producing companies.

Tom,

Have you listened to a single ended triode amp with a feedback adjuster, giving typically up to about 8dB of global negative feedback, IIRC some of the Cary models (805?)

Why would that be in light of your cogent arguments?

Hugh

A perfect example of a lousy amp with feedback used as a bandaid. Why not use as an example a Marantz 9 or a Futterman? Both highly prized tube amps with basically good design and performance, both with lots of feedback. Hmmm....

Gootee,
what a wonderful pair of posts (16 & 17).
Well argued, unemotional, simple statement of your beliefs and explanation of why you hold those beliefs.

I will make no comment on the 100% accuracy of every statement (I am not competent in all you areas you discuss), because that accuracy does not affect the gist of your argument. Having stated where you come from it is up to protagonists to argue for or against any single statement. Let's see them do so equally well. I look forward to seeing further discussion on some or all of the points you have raised.

Last edited:
AKSA said:

Insufficient feedback can be worse than no feedback. Unless the amp is almost perfect (which SET is not), 8dB is probably insufficient. Therefore I am not surprised that people prefer no feedback for these amps. This is not evidence against feedback, but evidence against insufficient feedback (or possibly evidence against SET!).

There are people who think that if some feedback is good, more feedback must be better. Not necessarily true. Other people think that if some feedback is bad, all feedback must be bad. Not true either. In both cases, people are trying to 'design' by blindly using overly simplistic old wives tales heard from a bloke they met on the internet instead of actually trying to understand feedback, its advantages and limitations. Then they spread their ignorance around, so influencing others.

Learn about the algebra of feedback, and how it affects distortion. Learn about stability and plots of loop gain on the complex plane. Remember that real life is never quite as simple as mathematical models, but not wholly different either. Then you will have something sensible to say about feedback.

There was once in interesting article in EW+WW stating that you either have no or a lot of feedback. If you only have a small amount of feedback you may actually degrade your amp.

Furthermore one has to keep in mind that a feedback factor that is increasing with decreasing frequency may lead to shaping the THD spectrum in an unfavourable manner.

Single-ended class-A amps have one definite advantage that many more complicated amps don't have: They have a transfer function that might not be that linear but it has always the same monotony. And it gets closer to linear with decreasing signal level. That might be the reason why some people prefer these on a subjective basis.

I'd say that feedback is best

1) applied in large quantities
2) used on amps that don't have really crappy open-loop linearity
3) used on amps that don't have crappy open-loop frequency response.

Re point 3): Preferably the open-loop gain should be constant over most of the audio range.

Regards

Charles

Feedback is best applied in appropriate quantities. Too much leads to instability. Too little can be worse than none.

"Too much" applies only for some circuits.
There are now numerous examples of op-amps and amps using huge quantities of NFB (lets's say at least 40 dB at 10 kHz) without suffering any trace of instability.

No, "too much" applies to almost all circuits. Most circuits have a point where HF phase shifts accumulate to 180 degrees. Too much feedback then would cause oscillation. "Unity gain stable" op amps are still subject to this rule, as you can always use a transformer to apply enough feedback to push the closed-loop gain below unity. About the only exception would be a circuit with such low power gain that you can't actually apply enough feedback. Such a circuit would be of limited use.

There was once in interesting article in EW+WW stating that you either have no or a lot of feedback. If you only have a small amount of feedback you may actually degrade your amp.

Furthermore one has to keep in mind that a feedback factor that is increasing with decreasing frequency may lead to shaping the THD spectrum in an unfavourable manner.

Single-ended class-A amps have one definite advantage that many more complicated amps don't have: They have a transfer function that might not be that linear but it has always the same monotony. And it gets closer to linear with decreasing signal level. That might be the reason why some people prefer these on a subjective basis.

I'd say that feedback is best

1) applied in large quantities
2) used on amps that don't have really crappy open-loop linearity
3) used on amps that don't have crappy open-loop frequency response.

Re point 3): Preferably the open-loop gain should be constant over most of the audio range.

Regards

Charles

What is your opinion about this Open Loop Gain diagram, it could use 40dB of NFB up to 20kHz?
dado

Attachments

• DADO-TT-TMC-3-1_015-triple-fina-OLG.jpg
    DADO-TT-TMC-3-1_015-triple-fina-OLG.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 305
Tom,

Why would that be in light of your cogent arguments?

Hugh

People forgot "nature" here. Just like what we eat, drink, breathe, ..

That tube amp, with less feedback will more natural it is. It is not just feedback or transient issue, because tubes are fast.

There are few people that care about how their amplifier move their loudspeaker, and how their loudspeaker move the air, and how their ear inform it to brain and what brain detects for ears dynamic response.

May be there will be interesting to try with laptop or cell phone loudspeaker.
They normally driven by classD. Just make a simple small horn from paper as cone horn, attach it close to loudspeaker and hear the sound differences. Horn also help to make a little more natural sounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.