FE206E : disapointed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I personelly have a 206 in a bass reflex box.
The birghtness is often cured after many hours of running in.
However the best solution is to coated the speaker with dammar. The dammar dampens the cone breakup. In this way the bass,mid and highs is more focus. Plus it is less edgy/bright.
Don't know about US where dammar might be expensive. Overseas out of Malaysia i hear dammar is an exotic material. But over here it is located somewhere in swamps and mangroove which my country is abundant with. Cost for dammar crystal is US 1.5 for 1Kg. Enought to coat many speakers.
Hopely this helps in solving your problem

Thanks MJK!

I am impatient to hear ML TL's. They should have been ready by now, but as we (me and and a friend of mine) managed to work on them only during weekends...
I will send you pics as soon as they are finnished, although those may not be the most beautiful pieces (we made some minor mistakes while cutting MDF):(

Sometimes I wish I had bought an FE 166E. Didn't hear it, but I have seen less complaints about that one...

Hi JTC,

Steve makes some claims about it changing the magnetic field of the magnet since you are using a metal phase plug. Also some claims about the square opening in the phase plug cancelling out some undesirable frequencies.

I have seen the paper by Steve D. IN MY OPINION, most of Steve's papers mix some good observations with some real voodoo.

I have my doubts about the magnetic field being changes enough to make a big difference. Maybe a small impact, but I think the introduction of the phase plug to the local acoustics is more significant.

The square opening and the cancellation of undesirable frequencies seems very far fetched. Adding a socket probably changes the driver's response but I think that the explanation of why will be a simple acoustics issue rather then the exotic square opening theory. Most of the time the causes of changes have simple explanations, people who love rocket science explanations typically feel that a complex explanation means they must be smarter then the average person. Beware of rocket science audio theories, if the person cannot explain it simple enough for you to understand chances are they don't understand either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.