FE167E finally ! work in progress...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the advice.

That tweeter was just laying around- but only have one so I need a pair of some kind. That dayton tweeter is right in my price range! I have to order some stuff from PE anyhow, so will try these (they look like they will fit above the fe167 (2" needed).

I have taken the tweeter and just moved it around to try to see what effects the different locations have. It seems to vanish when placed below the fe167. Seems best above the fe167, and even sounds ok when placed on top of the cabinet facing up.

The SI amp would be perfect, but I need to build something- there is something in my head that requires me to build (and I would probably be better off if that 'something' would just go away).

Thanks for the advice.

That tweeter was just laying around- but only have one so I need a pair of some kind. That dayton tweeter is right in my price range! I have to order some stuff from PE anyhow, so will try these (they look like they will fit above the fe167 (2" needed).

I have taken the tweeter and just moved it around to try to see what effects the different locations have. It seems to vanish when placed below the fe167. Seems best above the fe167, and even sounds ok when placed on top of the cabinet facing up.

The SI amp would be perfect, but I need to build something- there is something in my head that requires me to build (and I would probably be better off if that 'something' would just go away).

Just bought a $5 pillow. Will sleep on it tonight. If I don't sleep good, pillow goes into speakers. Also bought a couple plastic beverage glasses which happen to be 3" in diameter- will be my port tubes (MacGyver would be proud of me).

Listening results :

The most evident quality is the way that this loudspeaker is able to give accurate sound with a real sense of transcription which give a "new sound" each time you change of CD.

There is no way to speak of bass or treble, just music is offered to you.
The good sensivity is nice for using a such amplifier like T amp non modified.

The voices are the second strong point of this louspeaker.

There is no lack of any frequency and the sound is not really modified when the power grows.

I follow the listening test and now I am going to mod the T amp in a good box with better components.

@+

planet10 said:

Have you built any amps before?

If not RH84 is a good starting point.

dave

Have not built an amp before, but will not be a problem.

No tubes for me (yet). Thinking of using a single LM4780(http://www.audiosector.com/lm4780.shtml) in stereo mode- seems cheap and probably a good starting point. (#1 requirement for me is having a pcb available for purchase, pcb+parts would be nice, but not required.)

Probably use this pre-amp-
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/kookaburra.html
and modify using my own microcontroller so I can have an lcd display readout of volume level/input source/etc.

Then will need a dac, with tv/satellite/pc all feeding the dac through an input switch of some kind.

Looks like someone else built fe167e speaker and is also wandering about tweeter-
http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=752

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.