FE167 recommendations for my room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:

90 dB if it is back up againt the wall (ie no BSC)... 2 W will be tight (mo keeping the neighbors up).

Now how would you be interested in a version of the FS Fonken for the FE167? Noter that you would be a guinea pig... we have gone thru a couple iterations in paper for the 167 but haven't built anything yet ... or one could morph a Brines or Moose ML-TL into a wider, shallower footprint.

dave

Two more thoughts to further muddy the waters:

1) You indicate that you've already ordered or have the FE167's on hand, but the FF165K might well be a more suitable candidate for such a very near field listening position. (rated sensitivity is the same ) This is the driver used for that purpose in the Cain & Cain Abby.

In fact my buddy Frank mentioned in first reply this thread has tried both the FE166 and FF165K in his, and I think his preference depends on which end of his T-shaped room they're situated in.

2) the 45 Triode can sound absolutely wonderful, but a heavy weightlifter she ain't. Other than the obviously unlikely suggestion of upgrading your amp ( to some power house like a 2A3 :) ), another option for a venturesome DIYer would be to add a First Watt F4 to the system. I've yet to hear one myself, but by all accounts this "current buffer" is as virtually transparent as any audio amp currently available to the public, and passes on the signature/flavour of the preceding stages.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt6/f4_3.html

Yamamoto 45 amp as "line stage" :angel:

3_yammy.jpg

I built the Half Chili several months back and now I'm ready for my next project and am resurrecting this thread. Anything new in the land of fullrange??

I still have the same equipment so I need recommendations for a project with the following requirements:

-small footprint
-high sensitivity (to be used with 45 SET amp

Would the Brynn (w/ FE127e) or Fonken-tune floorstander (also w/FE127e) be sensitive enough??

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
afterglow said:
-small footprint
-high sensitivity (to be used with 45 SET amp

Would the Brynn (w/ FE127e) or Fonken-tune floorstander (also w/FE127e) be sensitive enough??

45 gives you 2.5 w/channel?

small room, never in need of too too much volume, you could get away with it. (my EL84s give me 4w, room is large, most of the time i'm fine with nthe Fonkens).

dave

afterglow said:
That's promising.

So shall it be the Brynn or the Fonken? And what differences should I expect vs. the Half Chili??

P.S. The 45 actually puts out 1.75 watts/ch.

Well, the Brynn is a much simpler build than the Fonken, doesn't require any type of stand, and while the cabinet itself occupies more cubic volume, its footprint in terms of actual square inches is actually smaller than the Fonken's. So where domestic considerations factor into the calculus , it would be nice to make confident suggestions, but that would require a crystal ball. Since not all partners have the same talent for visualizing what something might look like in the room in 3D, even when there are photos available of multiple candidates, why not take the time to mockup from cardboard boxes .......

The most immediate differences I'd expect to be noticeable between either of these and the Half Chili would be lower sensitivity / dynamic contrasts, and less extension/ weight of bass. I'd also expect the soundstage and imaging placement of the Brynn to be more similar to that of the Chili.

The issue of "appropriate" sensitivity for your combination of amps and room is much harder to address. It's been my experience that not all DHT amps utilizing the same device sound alike, and that (like in a marriage), long term system synergy can be quite unpredictable. At the sub 5wpc range, it's just too hard to predict if you'll be happy - if not it could be a good reason to expand your amplifier collection. A modest 300B or EL84 SEP can work wonders with either of these 127 designs.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
afterglow said:
So shall it be the Brynn or the Fonken? And what differences should I expect vs. the Half Chili?

Brynn & Gabriel are directly based on the GR Fonken turned sideways (as Olivia is the FS Fonken).

Brynn has better control in the bass than the GR Fonken and needs no stands. The FS Fonken seems to me to be the most compromised sonically in the bass, the prime directive for it was that it be floorstanding (the FS Mk II compromising that goal for a bit more bass control and greater stability). I would like to see someone try the FS with bottom firing port & affixed directly to a wall.

Differences with Half Chili will be dominated by yhe differences between FE127eN & FE167eN

dave

planet10 said:

Brynn & Gabriel are directly based on the GR Fonken turned sideways (as Olivia is the FS Fonken).

Brynn has better control in the bass than the GR Fonken and needs no stands. The FS Fonken seems to me to be the most compromised sonically in the bass,

agreed - and probably 'cause

the prime directive for it was that it be floorstanding (the FS Mk II compromising that goal for a bit more bass control and greater stability). I would like to see someone try the FS with bottom firing port & affixed directly to a wall.

with front firing port, it could even be configured as an in-wall? - (adios BSC? :cannotbe: )

Differences with Half Chili will be dominated by the differences between FE127eN & FE167eN

dave

ibid post 32

Originally posted by Chops

Several months back, you said your wife "gave" you that room to do what you pleased? Now she's retaken that room as well?

in what parallel universe do wives not exercise the prerogative to change their minds, and taketh away? :( certainly not the one I inhabit

What do you like / dislike about the Half Chili's?

Going by the photo early on on this thread, your room has bare wooden floors and nothing on the walls other that the shelves.
This makes for a very 'live' room, and given the odd angles your have to work with you are going to have problems that cannot be resolved by building alternative speakers.

What else is the room used for?
Is there any way that SWMBO can be persuaded to allow some room treatment?

Cheers,

Alex

What do you like / dislike about the Half Chili's?

Nothing really to dislike. I guess I've run out of projects and am thinking of the next one.

Going by the photo early on on this thread, your room has bare wooden floors and nothing on the walls other that the shelves. This makes for a very 'live' room, and given the odd angles your have to work with you are going to have problems that cannot be resolved by building alternative speakers.

I agree that using different speakers won't give me the greatest improvement. There's a bunch of artwork on the walls, an area rug, and tons of furniture in the room (upholstered and hard).

What else is the room used for? Is there any way that SWMBO can be persuaded to allow some room treatment?

It's a den/study but we also use it to entertain small groups. I'm afraid room treatments are out of the question.....

OK, so you're stuck with the room as is then.

From personal experience with my FE167E's, your next project should be to EnABL your drivers and cabinets.
EnABL increases the low level detail in the music and will take your system to a new level - even with such a difficult listening space.

Cheers,

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.