FE138ES-R - Dave, your dream came true...

No enclosure is going to quesl the Fostex "schreeeech" these have.

That bad? Ouch! Sounds like how I feel about the FE126. I bought a pair many years ago, played them for a half hour at most and put them back in their boxes. I felt the same way, nothing would cure that sound. (I may well be in the minority however as they seem to have been very popular).

I got the Nessie suggestion via some Japanese brothers in Audio. Apparently the resonant pipe is the preferred enclosure for the 138 ES-R.

I had to get the data from scott again -- an "accident" with some powerful magnets caused some "problems" with my laptop drive...

Here is the quick & nasty drawing...

dave

Hi Dave,

I am still struggling a bit with the sound from the 138ES. I want to try it out in the horn design you posted but wanted to check if this is the "final" version. Is it? If you have any other horn recommendation in this size range for the 138ES I would love to hear that as well!
Currently I have it in a miniature horn enclosure with a AM-20 supporting the treble, and a couple of notch filters to correct the worst bits. Putting the speaker a bit higher and mellowing out the horn response should help.

mini_horn_FE138ES-R.jpg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FE138 was a dissappointment… it brought the screech to the Fostex Shout.

Have yours caled down?

I cannpt recall an FE138 box… clues?

We did put it in FH3 where the bass was superb, might be even better in FHXL.

A larger horn would need to be done, something between Valiant and Victor. Very, very little demand for that tho.

dave