FE127 in MLTL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Standard Operating Procedure

That's pretty much what I do now. I have a bit of cutting that someone does for me but the tools available to me personally
are minimal. So storing finishing materials in cans for instance is out of the question-- fire hazard. Hence the au natural look.

I'll stick to the measurements given then and continue fool around with some driver tweaks.

GM said:
You're welcome!

The 'holey' brace or screw adjustable tensioner merely puts a bit of positive pressure against the driver/baffle interface to better couple it to the cab and keep it from moving around on its pliable gasket joint, i.e. improving its electro-mechanical efficiency.

Greg,

My latest tweak is to put washers under the driver frame at the mounting holes. This allow the driver to be screwed down hard against the baffle, but still have some pliability at the gasket. I also place a front-to-back brace at the top and bottom of the driver. This should accomplish the same purpose as the adjuster screw.

Your thoughts?

Bob

Bob,

I have thought on this washer thing and can only think of fender washers to accomplish anything. Fender washers are large with small holes. How do you do your screw alignment into the cabinet?

I'm talking about this FE127e with the square flange and tight radius at the corners.

Medium size lock washers come to mind as well.

loninappleton said:
Bob,

I have thought on this washer thing and can only think of fender washers to accomplish anything. Fender washers are large with small holes. How do you do your screw alignment into the cabinet?

I'm talking about this FE127e with the square flange and tight radius at the corners.

Medium size lock washers come to mind as well.

We are obviously not on the same page.

The screws that come with Fostex drivers are approximately No.6. A No. 6 washer is 3/8" dia and ~1/16" thick -- just right for the gasket that comes with the Fostex drivers. Predrill the baffle as normal, put a washer over each hole, set the driver on top of the washers, insert the mounting screws, drive them down tight.

Bob

Bob Brines said:

My latest tweak is to put washers under the driver frame at the mounting holes.

I also place a front-to-back brace at the top and bottom of the driver.

Greets!

Well, it's what I've done with any driver that doesn't have a suitably strong flange and/or soft enough gasket that allows indiscriminate amounts of tightening by folks who don't use a torque wrench or at least have a wrist calibrated by experience. I've even been known to cut spacers from alum. or brass tubing to get the desired 'crush' when there's a thick gasket or using Mortite or similar.

I wasn't creative enough to think of a screw brace, so as I've posted periodically, I used a motor support/brace, though it was off the side walls ala early Altec, JBL, etc. since the cab's width typically needs a cross brace anyway, but off the rear wall is fine too as long as it's tensioned against the baffle since there's no adjustment.

GM

still on the same topic sort of

My MLTL pieces are ready for a fresh assembly . I could make the exact same thing again but I was repositioning the stock
and have a new dimension.

3 x 9 x 23 3/4 internal

For the FE127e

What if anything would the increase in width do?

Port would be the 2 x 6 in PVC out the bottom.

With 3 inches front to back, I haven't checked for clearance on the
driver yet.

That other one GM made with the offset driver looks like a design
option I'd like to try. However I don't do my own box calcs until
there is freeware available.

If it's a bad idea just say so.

You beat me to it Greg... ;)

Re what do other OS users do, they either emulate Windows, or go without. Martin can't cater for everyone, just the majority; that's just the way of the world. MathCAD is a Windows based program -AFAIK, it's unavailable for other OS's at this time. The worksheets are in MathCAD for a good reason -most freebie stuff, or Excel etc., simply can't run this kind of heavyweight math.

Yes, as I recall the process of getting the demo, just finding a direct link to it was daunting.

Back then I suggested a runtime version (which Mathcad does not have) to package what Martin has as a dedicated application.

Truth to tell, I hardly know how to use winISD.

But I have the data sheet for the FE127e handy and ready use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.