FE126En cabinet choices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've been building speakers for years now and have always wanted to do a fullrange cabinet. I decided a couple years ago to someday build Ron Clarke's A126 but I have never been able to due to a lack of proper tools for making the intricate cuts. I now have access to a well equipped woodshop...but now the FE126e is discontinued.

Will the FE126En perform just as well/recommended in the A126? Am I going down the wrong path and possibly should be looking at a different cabinet to build? I know the FH MK3 is being worked on, but it seems like it's almost in a beta mode without the diffuser/suprabaffle. I have the means and ability to build something more complex, and if I will be more satisfied with something that will take a bit more time, then I want to build that.

Thanks

It should work reasonably in the A126, but you may need to experiment a little with the back-chamber volume.

FH3 is not in Beta state, it is completed. A suprabaffle is not present because it does not require one. Unfortunately, Dave has not yet had chance to update the Frugalhorn website. As for other boxes, I've mildly revised Saburo cabinet for the new unit (we'll get this on the site soon), while Valiant was designed for the En from the outset. Of course, at 6ft & 5ft tall, respectively, these are out of the question for many people.

Last edited:
GemaRastem:

The FE126E has not so much been "discontinued" (as were the shielded drivers in this series FE127, FE167, FE207 etc), as updated with the FE126En - and yes, it's generally a drop in replacement for the old driver.

As Scott notes, the FH3 design has certainly graduated past "beta field testing" - it's far more work to keep a site like Dave's absolutely current than most folks are aware.

Another knock-out enclosure for the FE126En is the Valiant. Keep in mind there are room placement considerations for most rear mouth designs - they generally need some "breathing room" behind them, and the FH3 with FE126En also benefits from corner reinforcement for low frequency extension and weight.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.