Favorite Drivers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the risk of starting a thread usually found in some "other" audio forums :devily: , I would like to ask a question, which I believe will benefit many interested parties. I am very curious as to what are your favorite drivers, without regard to price and crossover considerations, and why. Please list the drivers, and your preffered frequency range for them. Sorry for not including mine own, by my experience is very limited.

limited is better than none. fess up! :) drivers are only as good as the systems and budgets they fulfill. often I have used a driver in one systme only to break down the system and use the drivers in another system.

drivers i remember using....or rather systems i remember building.

philips (indian) 12", 8", 5" cone, 2" dome, 1" dome (model nos might not be international) 12066, 8065, 5060, 0210, 0163 and 0140. a monster 6db 5 way tower using 2 x12" 1x 8" 1x 5" 1 x 2" dome and 0163 facing forward and 0140 facing rear. for Dad in the 70s.

JBL 2245, an 8" model forgotten, 1" ti dome and later a 4" paper cone (foam surround) in college.

Dynaudio 24W100, D52af, D21af for a friend

Focal 10N515, 7N313, T120 same friend

2x Focal 8N515 and Morel MDT33 later mated with the JBL 2245. for me.

Audax HM170Z0 mated with above Focal 8N515 and Morel MDT33 the 2245 were sold/gifted to a friend as my wife did not appreciate the box size :-( for my wife's brother.

2x Audio Concpets DV12, 2x ScanSpeak 18W8546 and 9900 for me.

1x DV12 with Scan Speak 18W8546 and 9500 for a friend

the foll. are under construction.

Eminence 8" with Vifa TC 6" and 1" front channel of HT

4 x Vifa TC 4" and 2 x 3/4" (center channel with above).

Vifa TC 6" and 1" shallow box for (rear channel with above)

I have reallt enjoyed building all these systems and i could not call one a fav. each based on price, availability, taste of listener, max accepted size and other such factors.

these were built over 20 years 1976 to present. i built my 1st amp in 1974.

i dont like the focal Kevlar series. in fact i did not like any kevlar cones till the SS came along. i did try the Focal 7K415S and 8K516S in a TL but that did not work out hence i did not list those systems.

the tweeters....the 9900 is sweeter than the 9500 or mdt33. the mdt33 is a bit lispy. the 9500 is easier to manage. the 9900 needs exceptional XO and source or it can glare.

the 8N515 i find can be used to almost 1.5k but can get bit hard on female voices like Mary Chapin Carpenter. so i inserted the 170ZO. the 170zo cannot be used a bass driver unless your listening levels are very low.

amo said:
I am very curious as to what are your favorite drivers, without regard to price and crossover considerations, and why. Please list the drivers, and your preferred frequency range for them.
I refuse to answer on the grounds that everyone knows already. They would probably think that this was just another 'informercial' for ... well, you know who.

Steve

PS: Preferred frequency range: full-range for the little ones.

Illusion Audio LM-508(4), I picked these up for a friend who wanted a system in his car so, I brought them home hooked them up to my receiver plugged them in and WOW! I measured them after listening (Being truthful to myself). Listening to these, I was so emotionally connected to the music I was listening to, that I wanted to ditch the Audax HMs in my current TL. THey have warmth, bass (without an enclosure)...and a terrifically flat and smooth response. You can even place these puppies near monitors not, front of magnet to screen but, beside each other they were fine. I also had fun with a Vifa PL driver that cost $50 on sale and still sounds better than my friend's Pioneer driver=120. I am still a beginner in DIY building so that's about as much experience I have had despite a few other TL experiments.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Audax A20 & A26

These tweeters are latest, top sounding, and extremely easy to manage. Not as expensive as I thought they would be.
They use neo magnets, handle much power and have ''air''.

Attachments

• ap100z0_small.jpg
    ap100z0_small.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 2,066
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.