Faulty supply problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tatus,
I have returned to this thread repeatedly over the last few days awaiting a final reverse engineered schematic.
I have seen it and now added my comments.
Do you think I would want to do that to deliberately mislead you, or is it possible I believe in what I have taken time to think through and present?

That was certainly not my intention, if I would doubt that you believe in what you write it would not make much sense for me to start getting into discussion with you. Did I offend you with what I wrote, then I am sorry.

Nevertheless I would like to continue discussing, so I ask you to let me stay with my different opinion for that circuit. I think it will do it's job quite well when properly dimensioned. Regarding relay control, the circuit is slow when closing the relay (~ I estimate a 100..200V/s slope) but that can be even advantageous because it may help reducing contact bouncing. On the other hand the circuit is fast when switching off, which is again what we want. Yes, adding a zener will speed up inductive discharge. But does this help increasing the lifetime of a typical printed board relay? All relays I have used have a strong mechanical hysteresis that also acts as a spring, quickly forcing the contacts open. For that reason my practice is to add a zener only when I need short turn-off latency.

Could you give me some more hints to find that post you mentioned? I had no success so far.

it is quicker to post than to search.

Doug Self - Muting Relays - extract from Electronics World, July 1999

Attachments

• selfimg164[1].jpg
    selfimg164[1].jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 63
  • selfimg165[1].jpg
    selfimg165[1].jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 55
  • selfimg166[1].jpg
    selfimg166[1].jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 60
  • selfimg169[1].jpg
    selfimg169[1].jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 61
  • selfimg170[1].jpg
    selfimg170[1].jpg
    956.7 KB · Views: 52
  • selfimg171[1].jpg
    selfimg171[1].jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 39
  • selfimg172[1].jpg
    selfimg172[1].jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 40
  • selfimg173[1].jpg
    selfimg173[1].jpg
    696.1 KB · Views: 49
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.