Fault with MOSFET based headphone amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently built a headphone amp which has developed a fault.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12848

I have tidied up the cables within the case and bolted the boards down since first testing it and now the left channel is noticeably lower than the right. It also seems lighter in the bass department (although it's dificult to tell with the lower level).

I have done all the usual checks, visual and gounding checks with no mismatch between the channels. I have checked the pot and also switched the connections on the CDP. Both channels measured exactly the same give or take the odd .1 of an ohm.

Am I looking at component failure? Could it be the CCS network(LM317T)?

Done that, no difference. I have also changed the LM317 on the affected side, which did lift the level slightly, but they are still not matched. The original LM317 did show signs of overheating. While the boards were out, I reheated all the solder joints just to be on the safe side, as it could have been a dry joint causing the problem. I will try swapping the MOSFET later. Is there any way to check the MOSFET's with a meter before fitting them (i.e matching them)?

I'm starting to think this project is doomed. I am now getting +ve rail voltage at the junction of R2/R3/RG on the right channel (which has a lower output), which would lead me to suspect O/C R3 or short CCT R2. Maybe I have a faulty component in the bias CCT which has caused the MOSFET breakdown. I do hope this hasn't damaged my last MOSFET. I fear the worst............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.