FAST Xover question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I think I may have missed something myself...PLLXO is not at speaker level but is a xover that comes before the amplification stage of said speaker???

Yes.

If indeed the input R of the EC is that low, they had a good reason not to expose it.

With the bits you have i suggest keeping the ASL in and replace 1 power amp with the EC

dave

sideways - with the 47K input impedance of your EC, I get a value for C1 of 13.5nF, with no R2.

No matter how you configure it, the system we're envisioning will require one channel of amp for each of the Fostex and the woofers (at an XO as high as 250, stereo bass is essential)

Unless "system clutter" / WAF is an issued, I'd be inclined to follow Dave's suggestion and keep the ASL, follow with the PLLXO into the EC for the Fostex, and whatever amp you like for the woofers. Keep in mind that the latter will also need a volume control for level matching - this is always the case of course with Plate amps, or dedicated outboard sub-amps. Did I yet mention the Dayton AP1050? -very reasonably prices and quite a nice performer.

Once relative levels on the two amps are set, you leave them alone and use the ASL pre-amp as master control. It's kind of a shame to bypass much of the functionality the EC might have in its line stage, and it can be a PITA if it resets it's volume to 0 when powered off like my CityPulse, but without altering or replacing it, I'm not sure you've got much choice for this particular application?

Ya...I thought I had a good idea in the works LOL!!

There is no need for the PLLXO now with the minidsp still in play...

I guess what I might do now is try to track down a schematic for the EC...mod the ASL with an extra input for the time being...

My wife likes her records...as do I but I also like Jazzradio.com :) Swapping cables is not a good thing all the time!!!

All right...back to the drawing board!!

Thanks a heap guys!! Much appreciated!!

This wouldn't be an issue if I didn't like those little Fostex's!!!

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.