FAST woofer choice for Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should I consider any other products in the Alpair series?

I have the Alpair 7.3's, they are in a very pretty walnut box and working well.

As bass will be handled by a yet unknown woofer, is the Alp7 the best for mid-high, would the Alp10 perhaps offer a lower xo point, and better integration, or maybe a cheaper Alp6P with paper cone for a more natural sound?

that i couldnt answer, other than with a guess. I have a pair of 1st gen A5 which are nice, and although i havent heard the others as small a mid-hf source is best. For me 3 inches is my limit, no bigger or hf suffers. Thats my take on it. Tuxedocivic has a fast thread, addressing some of the pitfalls.

I wouldn't be concerned with how low you can cross. I'd go with a 3". Even a 3" can handle most 150hz cross overs without issue. And why not raise it up a little to 200hz. The change is only positive in my opinion.

I've been using this little cheapo in my FAST: Tang Band W3-881SI 3" Speaker 299-113

It's really good and can't take much power, but with the cross over set at 300hz I'm really pushing it and it has no issues. Every once in a while I can hear the treble get whiney cause of breakup or something, but it's really quite mild. Most 4"ers are only worse.

Regarding XLS vs SLS, the latter will have a wider usable response into the midrange than the former. This would give you more flexibility on where you crossover. OTOH, the XLS will handle more power, if you have it, and has the potential to go lower, louder. As you say, it will also build into quite a small box. Horses for courses. I should point out that I have no direct experience with the SLS series, but they seem well-regarded by those that have used them, including John K., which is good enough for me. I have used the Nomex-coned XLS 10" and 12" drivers and they are very good, well made units, but I wouldn't use them above about 200Hz from experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.