FAST system design advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
for me, a 12 =>9mm xmax might be the minimum and low dcr inductor directly across the FR to avoid Z interaction which can exacerbate excursion beyond no cap at all with just a cap highpass. Sensitivity won't be great but its a way to do things and have reasonably good bass. IIRC Jean Margerand published such ideas many years ago in Speaker Builder magazine. When I did a quick evaluation of the old rubber surround 10" Pioneer woofer in a ported and sealed box - it wasn't enough to play "busy" music such as Dan Weiss "Tintal" cd where Dan was playing complex and dense tabla passages on a regular drumkit. (harmonium part covered by a Strat guitar) Maybe a K with TH sub or 3-way front loaded big horn. I like big dynamics material, organ, lieder, opera - a lot of stuff

what compact FAST setup might handle a wide variety of music, not gargle, and do semi-live peaks on Motorhead? - for what's laying around in my pile, it might end up being a 15 direct radiator mated to 1772 - or just a competent sub mated to 1772 in a sealed box with passive line level xover - some FR such as BetsyK would burn out on rock.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, I'm starting to get my head round some of this stuff.
I have a question concerning the AMLTL technique, if I did the calculations whilst taking into account the two W130s, how much would I have to change it to incorporate the Fostex FF85WK driver? And how would I proceed to do so?

Thanks

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just run a bass reflex sim of the FF85wk and calculate your vent dimensions and get the optimal volume. The assume a length to get some quarter wave TL action - like 32 to 40 inches and now calc cross sectional area. Locate the driver from 0.2 to 0.33 the distance from the top (only way to know is to sim). Locate vent at close to the other end.

Erm, not sure if i understand. For the two Visaton W130s i calculated the following dimensions: H:90.9cm , Depth: 56cm , W: 35cm. Port diameter: 6.8cm and length is around 3cm. If I wish to add the fostex driver i have to redo the AMLTL Technique and then incorporate the dimensions into the box dimensions above?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.