Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

B&G NEO3 / Beginners cheap and quick "Min Phase Dipole Horn" – just for fun !

PB290110.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Michael

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well if a picture is worth a thousand words, you just posted an entire book! ;)
Thanks Michael. Very well laid out, easy to follow.

So how does it sound? How well does it integrate with the woofer? It may take awhile to get the crossover right. How is that going?

Thanks, Pano

I must admit - I really like that dipole horn's on top of OB. IMO way better in its "palpability" than the dual domes, I've done some time back in this thread for example.

You know – passive XO isn't my thing but I slapped together what I had at hand to come somewhere close to the original circuit (less padding).

Adding some EQ (top end lift) and – well not exactly stellar in its tonality after this 15min work – but with great "live feeling". Actually, I hope for others to input on a refined passive XO here

Excellent bang for the buck IMO with that very cheap NEO3 !

Can't say more about stage and image as only one speaker finished. Smell of the paint still in the room...

Michael

Last edited:
Very interesting ;)

A horn should be the best solution :cool:

Thanks,

I've come to horns because it seems to be the only way to get good diffraction alignment in that frequency range. For one dimensional horns (cylindric wave) anything is a little bit less perfect though (hence "quasi min phase")

A nice benefit - especially for the planar's like the NEO3 - is a roughly ~6 dB SPL (headroom) gain at the lower end.

Removing the back cup lowers the resonance frequency considerably - well after all its a very tiny volume for such a big diaphragm. This also may help to keep XO to that "great find" 12" simple.

Michael

Last edited:
:eek:

Nice work Michael! I'll have to try it sometime. It looks to have a fairly different polar pattern than dipole/OB, much tighter. I'd guess there will be less room interaction/reverberation, and a more direct, detailed sound. Audio engineers like that sort of presentation, much more direct. And it looks like it could be crossed at 1kHz!

Would you be so kind as to measure the response out to 90deg off axis? I think it would be very interesting, looks to be almost constant directivity...

Again thanks guys!

I hope you will try, Cuibono :) (don't wanna unveil all secrets until then, better some poeple give 'em a serious listen first...) ;)

One word of caution as FR goes down so deep in dipole operation - have a look at Zaph's page

Zaph|Audio

to see where this tweeter is intended to work best.

Keep in mind that these planar's are very limited in excursion - so even if resonant frequency is veeeery deep - the SPL you can force them is limited in this department - despite some few dB of benefit from horn loading.

Michael

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yep, this speaker does need a tweeter that can play down to 1K with authority. Not an easy task (and why the SS D3806 does so well).
In stock form the NEO3 will not do it - as far as I can tell. But with MigeO's lovely waveguides, it might stand a chance. Very interested to see what becomes of this.

I'm a newb, so take this for what its worth. I happened to be looking at the Linkwitz lab site and looking over the Pluto design, and noticed they used a little 2 inch full range for the tweeter that has had decent reviews.

The speaker is an Aurasound NSW2-326-8AT 2" Extended Range and goes down to about 200hz and sells at Madisound for about $20.

I haven't heard it myself but from reading the reviews it might work well and help keep the costs reasonable. the only other tweeter that would probably work well but is pricey is the Scan-Speak 602010.

Anyway looking forward to an update on the revised edition.

Mark

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think I have that TB 1". Will have to check. Might be nice, but no way could it compete with the SS 3806 from 1K up. But it's not expensive.

The Aurasound 2" I have heard (years ago) and was impressed with its smoothness. Yes, distortion is high below 1K, but in the range we want it's rather low. It is certainly worth a try. Sensitivity is about right.

I wonder how John is doing with his SB tweeter and wave guide?