Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

LSAF 2013

Yes I will be bringing commercial versions of the Ultra and Ultra Plus!...

Will drive them with modified Chicom EL-34 and KT-88 tube amps using an OPPO CD player up front. It will be interesting to hear how the set up will sound in my room. If I get the mods done on the 845 SET I may bring that too. Hope to see you there!:)

Ultra picture

Just for giggles, an Ultra beauty shot taken at Azul's Kerrville.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.jpg
    IMG_3689.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,711
Also appearing in a limited engagement....

The second OB will be the Ultra Plus! I think it will be a popular item. Just shy of 90 dbw and flat to below 30 Hz. And the mid and upper end is handled by the excellent Seas FR22. Think you will enjoy this design... a lot!

Attachments

• DSC01262 Ultra Plus!.JPG
    DSC01262 Ultra Plus!.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,677
Hi guys, I have ordered the drivers for the Ultra. I am going to attempt to use my mini dsp for an active crossover and I have large 4 channel classdaudio amplifier to use. Since I already have a subwoofer and don't need output below 50hz from the Manzanitas, could I make the baffle around 18=20 inches wide? Would there be other significant effects other than the bass output? I am trying to make it WAF as possible.

Ultra

John, Pano,

I finally have my Ultra finished today.
I have Jensen 18 mH for the woofer, n Solen 14 ga for the full range. Have them listen for about an hour now, sound promising and with lot of bass, punchy deep bass. Will give detail comment after some 300 hrs.

Albert

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 1,403
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,260
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,203
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 713
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very cool, let us know how it goes. You may need to adjust some crossover values a little, if you find it doesn't suit your room just right.

John should be at Lone Star Audio Fest at the moment. Probably enjoying bourbon and big Obees at this very moment. :D We'll ask him how it went when he gets home.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just spoke to John on the phone. He says LSAF went very well and that his Manzanita room was packed full of people for the whole show. Everyone seemed to love the speakers and the ample, clean bass.

These are easy to DIY - a great project that you can really sink your teeth into.

I finally built the Ultra this past weekend after having all the parts for well over a year - man I'm slow :eek:

I was a bit disappointed with the GRS 15's drivers as the frames were bent/distorted. The packaging of the GRS's was poor to non-existent. I waited too long before I did a thorough inspection of the speakers. Parts Express wouldn't let me return them for an exchange - which was expected. I did send them pictures of the problem though.

Anyway, I mounted the GRS's and most of the frame distortion went away. I listened to these for a few hours and they sound fantastic. Nice solid bass and I love these little Vifa full rangers. Thanks to John and Pano for all their hard work.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool! Happy to hear that you got it finished. Bummer about the woofers. :( I had that happen to me shipping a pair of Selenium 15s back from Hawaii. One was bent so badly it was ruined. I didn't notice until months later. Too late to claim the insurance.

Anyway. Glad you are up and running. Keep us up to date on the project.