Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Yep, those are the "Big Boys". Really great speaker. Huge, deep sound stage, great dynamics. Thanks for the photo!

Pano, i unfortunately didn't get to go and hear John's stuff this year at LSAF (bummer as I enjoy talking, or should I say listening, to John). How does the single large coax compare in your mind to the standard Manzanita's? I've heard the HE's and standards and they both sound nice. I'm still looking to build a pair to fit into my 13x19' room.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Uhhhh.... I would not know anything about that. ;)

Blooz, wish you had gotten to hear the 18's, they are magnificent. They leave the other versions in the dust - no surprise, given the size, cost, weight and years of crossover development. I haven't even heard the newest crossover. John had them at RMAF a few years back - but just in private. We worked and worked on the crossovers and I'd think they didn't sound all that great - until we went out and listened to other stuff. Coming back to the room to hear them again was always surprising, the Big Boys easily blew away 90% of what was at RMAF. John may have a commerical version of this, we shall see.

I am considering building one of these in the near future.
I know this has been through many revisions.
Can someone be kind enough to jot done a parts list for us newbies?
Is sounds like the Vifa is the only component that needs to be sourced from Madisound. Everything else is PE?
Since I am a total novice at this - what material will serve as a good base for the crossover?
Thanks!

I was considering going into production with my Aurium Waveguide OB speaker system, but the drivers I was using, good as they are (top of the line Peerless - the one Linkwitz originally used in the Pluto), went out of production by the time the project was finished, so service support would be difficult. If I blow one of my 5 inch drivers, I'd arguably have to replace all of them, which in my case is four on each side... I very much believe in vertical line arrays, but there's this issue when it comes to service support. I hate the idea of producing something that is not repairable, or is that difficult and expensive to fix. There could even be an issue with the existing hole size... I'm not sure how standardized that really is anymore. As much as I like the sound of OB, I'm beginning to think that a 5.2 surround (half circle) setup might be, in many cases, a more practical way to get more of the 3D effect. I've been experimenting with that and it's pretty juicy. OB speakers need a lot of space out from walls to work well. Those of us who have to sqeeze into a small apartment may have difficulty with that.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can someone be kind enough to jot done a parts list for us newbies?
Should be everything you need in this post: https://production.diyaudio.com/community/index.php?posts/2752617/.
Madisound should have all the parts. Get some larger value resistors for the tweeter to play around with. The Vifa has changed a but since this crossover and needs more top end attenuation in some rooms. 15 ohms instead of 8 seems a popular value.

If not, let me know. Have fun with the build!

Thanks!
Also found a BOM from both PE and Madisound.

I will be ordering from PE as I also need some basic stuff like a soldering station.

A couple more newb questions:

Binding posts: any specific type?

Solder wire: anything specific for audio projects or just standard 60:40

Wire for connections: any specific gauge/type. All I have on hand is speaker wire in 14 and 12 gauge.

Connectors: Do I need some kind of connectors for joining wires and keeping them secure or just tape them over? Please recommend.

Any acoustic lining material?

Sorry for my very basic questions...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Questions are what we are here for!

• Binding posts. Whatever you like. A good connection is all you need.
  • Solder. Standard 60:40. Don't use lead free, it's awful to work with.
  • Wire. Your 14 gauge will be just fine.
  • Connectors. Screw terminals - the Euro style work very well. Sometimes known as "dominoes". P.E. has them
  • Acoustic lining. None needed, but it doesn't hurt to put a little on the back. I've used felt, John uses a spray on truck bed liner that comes from NAPA auto parts

3910008thumb.gif

Molex Eurostyle Terminal Blocks

You can find the Molex Two Screw terminal strips at Mouser Electronics, current catalog page 1728, middle item on the page, depiction "C". Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor

There are numerous configurations mainly based on number of positions per block and AWG range. I have found Molex P/N 39100-1010 to be a good buy. This is a 10 position block that will accept wire sizes from 10-18 AWG. The plastic is easy to cut, so you can make a terminal of how many positions you need, of course up to 10.

To obtain the Mouser P/N just add 538 on the front of the Molex P/N. Current 1-24 pricing is $2.76 each and they are always in stock.

Hope this helps.