fast bridge rectifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Millwood, The answer is you can't. All this Christmas eggnog has addled my brain. Diodes Inc only has common cathode configurations. You would need to match one of those with a common anode configuration. I have seen datasheets from someone else where you can order them that way by changing a suffix. Anyway, just buying a super/ultra fasr bridge would be easier. Edidiodes does have those.

The REAL problem is finding a distributor that stocks any of them, or talking the manufacturer out of samples.

Of course, it may all depend on what the original poster wants one for. Unless it is something very, very special I'd bet you can get what you are looking for just by snubbing them. The definitive dyi article on that seems to be the one a www.hagtech.com.

Eva said:
Diodes with very high current ratings are slower than diodes with more reasonable current ratings

Fast recovery diodes are only useful when high dI/dt are required [100A/us] and 50/60Hz rectification produces very low dI/dt [10mA/us]

Eva,

Logic apart ;-) , Didnt Nelson say somewhere that once they tried the fast recovery Diodes, he found them to sound better? Maybe there are other variables at play.. :rolleyes:

He could be actually talking about the sound produced when you throw them against a wall, drop them to the floor or crack them with a hammer

I'm still trying to find more ways for a diode to produce sound

Maybe scratching the glass of a window with the copper tab of a TO-220 diode?

Sure the fast recovery ones produce funnier sound :D. And bigger diodes produce more 'bass extension' [when they explode]

[Just kidding]

Eva said:
Diodes with very high current ratings are slower than diodes with more reasonable current ratings

That specific item is incorrect.

The speed will be diffusion process determined.

I have tested a 3 inch wafer for trr, and then broke it up into smaller and smaller shards, and find the trr remains the same..

Literature reports this for at least five orders of magnitude in current density..I've tested that for about 4 orders...

Cheers, John

As an example, see datasheets for RHRP860 and RHRP1560 from Fairchild[Harris]

15A diode shows higher Trr than 8A diode for currents beteen 0,5A and 8A and same dI/dt and temperature

So Trr depends on diode current rating, at least for these particular series or hyperfast diodes

I suppose different processes are used for different current ratings and bigger diodes use a process that causes slower recovery

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just took out a bridge made with schottky diodes. This was in a IcePower mon amp. I replaced them with some standard high voltage/current intergrated bridges.

The sound with the schottkys was irritating in the sense that it had a very forward midrange and some glare.

In the thunderstorms this summer both amps rectifiers blow. Now there is something similar as original just a bit bigger.

What do I know ...

The schottkys where 20A200V

/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.