Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's all sorts of

True but regardless of the way one chooses to probe the phenomena, I would like to have as much data (apart from looks/WAF/smell issues) as possible for to help me decide on a CD to pre amp interconnect.
Potato, banana, tomato or watermelon? :D

Temperature variations, moisture content variation with time and electrode surface/juice contact variability, are probably adequately strong factors to render the idea of pining down electric components on cactus leafs to form a bionic-looks, discrete component preamplifier (my last night’s dream), technically questionable.

George

For obvious reasons, this alternative construction method is not applicable to future Mars-based audiophiles tweaking.

Last edited:
Ah, of course; now I know why some people prefer non-linear amplifiers. You need non-linearity to form the solitons. That had always puzzled me; I thought that maybe some people actually liked the sound of distortion.

Once launched from a non-linear amplifier (or just a non-linear tube buffer) the solitons can propagate without harm along any suitably unusual cable. Ordinary EE-like cables such as coax or twisted pairs quickly kill off the solitons, though.

tried passing a signal thru a pencil lead. no luck

As we found in physics classes at school, to burn the wood off from around a pencil lead using current from an accumulator, it had to be a 'B' or preferably a '4B'; I believe the harder 'leads' have added ceramic.

If you drop a pencil you can end up with a break in the lead, which might explain your missing signal.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
There's all sorts of ways that charge is transported in solids (including polarons and solitons). But since this is AC, it's a field transmission- the charged entities have a short path and basically just jiggle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliton
Running the risk of Scott Russell’s case to trigger another JC anti DBT burst, I can’t see solitons playing a game at the frequencies we are interested here (but I may be wrong)

On the contrary, I read as polarons do live with us and thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn their existence.
Polaron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand now why you offered fields as the appropriate way of thinking over them.

George

Last edited:
Running the risk of Scott Russell’s case to trigger another JC anti DBT burst, I can’t see solitons playing a game at the frequencies we are interested here (but I may be wrong)

Surprisingly, they can. In the late 1970s, it was discovered that upon doping of polyacetylene, the conductivity rose to metallic levels, but the spin carriers dropped to zero. This puzzling result was soon discovered to be caused by the formation of charged solitons (the free carriers in the undoped insulating material were neutral solitons with spin 1/2). I don't have the original reference handy, but the experimental observation was by Alan MacDiarmid's group at Penn, and the theoretical explanation followed shortly thereafter by Su, Schrieffer (the "S" of BCS), and Heeger. MacDiarmid and Heeger managed a Nobel Prize in 2000 for their efforts.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you.

OT:
SY, when I read about modern world fascinating research activities, my mind turns to 19th century pioneers and I wonder if today’s key researchers manage to enjoy good financial rewards.
(I remember R. Reagan had said something like that when wage-cutting was decided for scientists working with national research centers: “they enjoy what they are doing” …! )

George

I wonder if today’s key researchers manage to enjoy good financial rewards.

Many do. Several engineers who worked for me are now multimillionaires and at least one is a billionaire.

I can assure you that I'm broke. :D If you work for a national research center, your salary is good, not great, but the benefits are outstanding. One can live very well and retire young (by US standards). Job security is also remarkable compared to the private sector.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you work for a national research center, your salary is good, not great, but the benefits are outstanding. One can live very well and retire young (by US standards). Job security is also remarkable compared to the private sector.

I guess that’s all a research genuine geek would ever ask for.

Several engineers who worked for me are now multimillionaires and at least one is a billionaire.

That’s through patent profits or they turned entrepreneurs?

I can assure you that I'm broke. :D

In connection with the previous paragraph, I smell Bentley rides ect :D

George

That’s through patent profits or they turned entrepreneurs?

Mostly the latter. My best engineer ended up being a founder at Cisco, then went on to design and set up Google's server system (I believe he also did the same for Yahoo, but I'm not certain).

He tells me that he still uses SY's First Law when training young engineers and drills it into their heads. I ought to ask for a royalty.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Perhaps Ouzo or something like that.:D

That is OK for me but I am afraid it will not be to your liking.
You are for wines, no?
The wine mentality here is for pure wines made with the traditional methods.
In the recent years there are many wine makers that have gone for selected tastes, limited production international markets and they are doing well.
Still I think, the true nectars from Santorini and Samos islands are in the “to be explored” category.
Nevertheless, if there is a Greek wine bottle that has come to your attention, name it and I’ ll see what I can do.:)

George

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.