Fakes Toshiba 2N3773 photos ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TAEC, since 1965.
Here's another number

Attachments

• 2n3771.jpg
    2n3771.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,382
AndrewT said:
what!
I have various ages of amplifiers fitted with Toshiba To3 2n3773 transistors going back to the late 70s.
I have a copy of Toshiba's datasheet from the 80s.
Toshiba must have a very short memory or you asked the wrong question.

I think I misread Rod Elliots page - he mentions the 2N2773 transistor having never been made by Toshiba.

However I have noticed that Japanese semiconductor manufacturers never like to admit to their old parts :)

I have some of the Toshiba branded 2N3773, they do not work well in amplifiers designed to use them (Crown DC300A).

The ON Semiconductor 2N3773 has 40% more die area, and the copper heat spreader coin, I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

Hard to think of these parts being equivalent.

Genuine 2N3773s are workhorses, I like them.
~250W 100mS SOA at Tc=70°C. One pair of them in quasi-complementary configuration does 100W-RMS safely.
Attention, for audio amplifiers only the epitaxial type's are OK (Ft=4MHz)! The homotexial (Ft=0.5...1Mhz) 2N3773s are only sufficient as series pass transistors in linear PSUs.
Somewhere I've got an old Mot (?) datasheet that shows Ft curves too. Anyone interested? Then I'll dig up my winchester.

How does one tell the difference between homo & epi?

1.5A continuous @ 100Vce is almost unique among 150W devices. And even better ONsemi supply 100% tested for this parameter.

A real workhorse.

ps,
ONsemi show near 400W upto 80Vce for 100mS SOA
Which probably explains why my Crimson1704 1pair Quasi complementary claim 170W into 4r0 and I have tested it to 200W into 4r0 in the short term (~2seconds)

Andy L. Francis said:
The homotexial (Ft=0.5...1Mhz) 2N3773s are only sufficient as series pass transistors in linear PSUs.

The hometaxials are good for audio - they're my first choice for single-ended class A where you don't have to worry about them not switching off fast enough. Got a bunch of 2N6254's and 6259's laying around that will eventually go into a heater or two. I don't think RCA ever made epitaxial versions of those.

Hi Andrew,

That 400W is valid at Tc=25°C, that's why I wrote only 250W (Tc~70°C).
I've found that designing with 100mS SOA is safely, no need to stay under the DC SOA line.
What a pity Onsemi doesn't gives the 100mS SOA of their MJ15003, MJ15022 etc... devices! I should say it's a shame! With these devices I use to design under the DC SOA line because of safety reasons. I'm using 60°C phase margin in my calculations.

Wg_ski,

Sorry, you're right - I need a coffee.
I remember I had a handful of hometaxial (I'm not sure they were hometaxials, the seller claimed that) 3773s, I bought them for a song for a 13.8V/~20A HAM PSU project. Then after many years I modified this PSU to class-A audio amplifier (J. Linsley Hood 10W) and the amplifier worked well until I sold it to an audiophile.
That JLH amplifier had a single-ended OP stage configuration.

burbeck said:
hi
30 years old at least, Toshiba transistors

Now those are the real deal. I've aquired a few over the years and used them with no trouble. The real one are old (25-30 years is about right). Flip them over and you'll be able to tell easily. They should have the copper heat spreader coin that the D424 and other devices from that era did - and with the Jap units you can see from the bottom side where it's bonded in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.