Fake Mos FET's ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought some 2SJ162/2SK1058 pairs, 2 pairs for $10 on Ebay. They look like Renasas but the drain and source pins are reversed. I noticed the D-S diode was reversed and checked them on the component tester, which duplicated the DVM simple FET test.
Ok so I cross the pins with wires and can't get some crossover distortion out. On the positive cycle, there is a bit of delay in following a triangle input then a sudden 350mv snap on from 0v. Coming back down the output triangle, it drops down 350 mv below gnd then does the sudden 350 mv snap on the negative cycle.
I'm thinking the K1058 must be acting like a hexfet. I have not been able to find any reference to that pair with the D-S pins reversed. Probably fakes.

I guess it's going to be some EXC10P20 and EXC10N20's from the UK, no source in the USA.

Last edited:
That is very cheap for those dvices, some people are asking silly money for genuine devices.

Vertical mosfets are GDS and lateral mosfets are GSD.

Not quite sure why yours should be reversed unless wrongly marked.

As for fakes it never becomes a question I ask as I just buy from reputable dealers.
If the device is obsolete then maybe that's the only time I might consider ebay or China.

I guess they ARE vertical MOSFET's then. I learn something new every day. Thanks.
Let's see if the seller proceeds farther with the email tag game.

Maybe seller made a genuine mistake.
Given the price it doesn't look deliberate as he could have asked much more for them.

Fakes do happen though.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Maybe seller made a genuine mistake.
Given the price it doesn't look deliberate as he could have asked much more for them.

Fakes do happen though.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

LOL! Seriously?
And in the small one there might be a even smaller one (again).
Why didn`t they crack open the small one?
Too bad.
:D

Joined 2010
Paid Member
As said, they are wrong pin order because they are indeed fakes. I've seen and heard of this type of fake lateral mosfet on diyAudio and other forums too, over about 10 years now. I've even replaced a few sets in other guys' DIY builds and a repair, so this is not likely a rare or unusual event.

There are more cheap fakes than just latfets out there though. Anything that is specified for popular audio designs can sell much faster to the majority of us who will be unaware of what enables expensive, in-production power semis to sell so cheaply from backyard dealers. The evidence is clear enough and this is just one solid reason for buying from authorized resellers. Just consider how many low grade craptanium BJTs and Hexfets are in DIY builds that their owners are unaware of simply because they bought cheap and no obvious problem like this one presented itself.

hi Ian,

you are right, but i was paid via Paypal, maybe they can give support.

Interesting is, that you can see no neutral or negative feedback the last year for a deal with 2SK1058 and 2SJ162, so the customer must be happy with that what he received.

When the devices are marked with Toshiba, may he received some 2SK1530/2SJ201, there the pinout would be correct. But from this dealer, the 2SK1530 received already a negative feedback as fake.

Günni

Here are some photos. They go in a backup power board for a Marshall IBS200. It works but I figure since it is 32 years old I would build a backup power amp in case it should fail, I'd have a quick swap and a winter project for study.

It originally uses TO-3 but these plastics can be easily fitted. I like the power transistor connectors I concocted from hobby brass U channel. The two missing transistors are not in the feedback loop and the board is meant to run with or without.

The little black spot ? It was originally tested it at +- 27 volts for smoke testing. I forgot the little auxiliary 220uf caps I tacked on were 35v when I moved on to +- 65v . Five seconds after power on and BANG. Haven't done that for many years. too excited about it. But alas, the problem power transistors became apparent with unusual crossover distortion.
I substituted 2.2uf XR7 chip caps for 2.2uf Orange drops. Pssst, seems to work under four volts.

The clunker resistor is a temporary load resistor.

32 years old and good as new. I want to keep this amp going as long as it can, just to see how far it can go and because I like it.
Some prior owner installed the clunky speaker protection delay circuit. I have plans for an external one to keep the amp historical if I can.

Something audiophiles consider as sin is just what is needed for music instrument amps, it gives them their signature sound. Then the precision audio amp recreates what the band plays. Got it ? LOL

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    677.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1266.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    562.2 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
I had also experienced ordering these Said to be laterals but fake on ebay sellers. they are re- marked verticals. good that I only ordered a pair for testing and comparing with my originals..

A good test, if veritikal or lateral Mosfet, is checking the Gate- Source capacity. If > 1000pF it's vertikal, if < 1000pF it's a lateral Mosfet (not valid for double die versions).

BR
Günni

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.