Fake ELNA LAO 10000uf/80V from E-Bay seller

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You must now assume that all electrolytics, besides very few, on e-Bay are fakes.

For interest I asked about this NCC "Super-ellyt" 10000Uf 100V in a 35x51mm can from janeh2100 !!! :rolleyes:

I asked how it could be possible:

I can not find this size for 10000uF/100V in the NCC KMH catalog.
How come you can have it?

and they answered:

hello,client
we only have 10000uF/100V KMH ,without NCC,hoipe you can understand and make sure before purchase.
best regards
Libby

This make me lose all confident in the Chinese e-Bay sellers.

The current datasheet from NCC indeed doesn't go beyond 4,700 uF on the 100 V range.
But it did exist once, in an older datasheet the 10,000uF/100 V KMH is listed as the EKMH101VQT103MB80T. So those on eBay may be new old stock or fakes. I expect the latter most likely to be the case since the photo says 35x51 mm and the datasheet 40x80 mm.

Last edited:
The current datasheet from NCC indeed doesn't go beyond 4,700 uF on the 100 V range.
But it did exist once, in an older datasheet the 10,000uF/100 V KMH is listed as the EKMH101VQT103MB80T. So those on eBay may be new old stock or fakes. I expect the latter most likely to be the case since the photo says 35x51 mm and the datasheet 40x80 mm.

I appreciate your comments and also confirm there is a giant fraud going on about selling fake electrolytic caps from China.

A few other sellers outside China have also, I hope unintentionally, bought and are reselling these faked caps.

I've made a few "try buings" from Chinese vendors and have had fakes from many, even in small values in 10mm cans.
Most of them are in a can with a "cross", stamped as an over pressure rupture stamping in top of the can.
On the bigger ones they usally hide the "cross" with an insulating pad.

This cross stamping in the can is an identity mark for Nichicon caps (but with an other rubber pattern, see below), but also used for a lot of low quality "Cheap Chinese No-Name Brands" with differing rubber pattern.

Sanyo f.ex also uses a cross, but with a stretched middle section.

For other ways to identify counterfeit caps, regarding can stamps and bottom rubber pattern, see the attachment below:

Other informations about fake caps are very welcome in this thread.

I have not started this thread to get some small money back from counterfeiters, but to make my fellow DIY:ers here aware of the ongoing selling of counterfeit el-caps from Chinese wendors on e-Bay.

I understand that many DIY:ers here are bound to buy their components from e-Bay sellers, as the big vendors are charging expensive service and transport charges.

I'm also very surprised, that so many buyers of these fakes don't give bad feedback to the sellers.
Many of them selling obvious fakes have 98-99 in positive feedback, so I presume the buyers are not aware that they're buying and receiving fakes!!!

On the countrary, I've had very good experiances from e-Bay sellers in Germany, Poland and France!!

JohanB

(About fake semis, is in another thread)

Attachments

• type-capacitors.jpg
    type-capacitors.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 799
I don't agree... you can buy from eBay and AliExpress genuine parts.

The risk of buying some fakes it's not small, though.

I usually avoid semiconductors and big smoothing caps.

Used/pulled semiconductors are usually genuine, though.

The black/gold sleeve Silmic II you can find on eBay, for instance are better sounding (same good sound without the recessed midrange) than the brown/white ones you can find from Mouser or Digikey.

If they're fakes they're still excellent caps.

Price is to good to be true.
I have a need for 8PC, I do not want to risk $54
Rather order from Parts connexion Nichicon KG.
Not sure if that as good as Elna but very likely much better than FAKE Elna.
I already purchased from Ebay, the pictures he posted was original Elna I got total different in the package. Made in Thailand- I got made in Japan and the capacitor size was smaller to
Some of (sellers) them knows very well what they are selling.
In my case pictures from original Elna and parts received did not match the pictures.
Greetings

Attachments

• FakeElna10000-100V.JPG
    FakeElna10000-100V.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 725
Don't say that. He offers fake ELNA 10000uF/100V on the first page you show!!!...... :violin:

You right both the 100V and 63V is FAKE!
I did sent a letter to him and he wrote me back
He claim (how much I can understand his English) the capacitors he sale original

Luo Wensheng: Friend You can see my comments! I have sold 26 copies of this product! Please do not compare other people's products with me! If it is not a picture of the product! I am very much to welcome you to a direct refund! I do not have the conditions for a refund to you! I sell the product on the picture!

Brand Name: ELNA Model
Number:10000uf /63VType:
Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Application: General Purpose
Package Type: Through Hole,
Capacitance:10000uf /63VRated Voltage:10000uf /63V
Operating Temperature:-55°C --+125°Cis_customized: Yes
Color :Black
Structure: Fixed Capacitor

Brand": ELNA LAO series

"Parameters": 10000uf/63V

"Size": diameter: 30mm; height: 50mm; pitch 10MM; minimum hub diameter: 1.6mm;

"Price": domestic 30*50:

The "year": 2014

"Origin": China

By the sleeve not original Elna.
By the size not original Elna
By operating temperature not original Elna :eek:
You should run from these seller

Last edited:
Hello

He not all fake that just because that one is.

I bought 3300uf 25v this from him, he sended excatly as the picture with all with oem mark dont know if its fake. Vin--Audio HI-FI has all types capacitor it doesnot come on aliexpress search engine and soon i realized he is a better seller than Mouser. Even Mouser is selling fake Nippon, Rubycon capacitor.

Fake Nippon 10000uf 80v
80v 10000uf Electrolytic Capacitor Radial 35x50mm (2pcs) Free shipping-in Capacitors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Fake Rubycon 10000uf 80v
80v 10000uf Electrolytic Capacitor Radial 35x50mm (5pcs) Hongkong post tracking number Free Shipping-in Capacitors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Last edited:
Unfortunately eBay is full of fake, especially for Chinese sellers it seems to be the norm. The cheaper it is compared to expensive shops, the less likely it is to be real. This makes ebay practically useless for scoring fancy components on the cheap.
Unfortunately seller ratings don't really help with this either, even sellers that sell lots of obvious fakes usually still have 99+% ratings.

Last edited:
Hello

He not all fake that just because that one is.

I bought 3300uf 25v this from him, he sended excatly as the picture with all with oem mark dont know if its fake. Vin--Audio HI-FI has all types capacitor it doesnot come on aliexpress search engine and soon i realized he is a better seller than Mouser. Even Mouser is selling fake Nippon, Rubycon capacitor.

Fake Nippon 10000uf 80v
80v 10000uf Electrolytic Capacitor Radial 35x50mm (2pcs) Free shipping-in Capacitors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Fake Rubycon 10000uf 80v
80v 10000uf Electrolytic Capacitor Radial 35x50mm (5pcs) Hongkong post tracking number Free Shipping-in Capacitors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

These you bought 3300uF/25V seems to be of ELNA manufacture OEM for Clarion. Bottom rubber pattern is ELNA-type, but pics in the ad don't show the top with the over-pressure vent, that should be like a "sword" for real ELNA. See the pattern map I showed earlier in this thread.

The other 2 10000/80V you show from Ali are absolutely 100% fakes. You must know the seller Moses is not the same as MOUSER Electronics
Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor
Mouser Electronics is a worldwide direct distributor of original components from the original factories. Absolutely no fakes there.

Do not interchange "moses on ali" with Mouser Electronics

You have Mouser sales office in India too. There are no fakes!!

Mouser Electronics India PVT Ltd
10, Ground Floor, Raheja Chambers
Museum Road
Bangalore 560001
India

Office Hours (M-F):
8:30am to 6:00pm GMT+4

Sales, Customer Service, and Technical Support
Phone: +91 80 4265 0000
Fax: +91 80 4265 0001

Last edited:
The original 10 000uF 63V look like these
2pcs Original ELNA Lao 10000uF 63V Audio Top Power Electrolytic Filter Capacitor | eBay

Please do not buy from these seller because he will send you Fake not the same as the picture on the ad
The truth is many times at the ad the use pictures from the original and send you different (I mean fake)
Please take a good look at the capacitor sleeve the negative side marked as the 80V.
I would not put my hand into the fire. When is too cheap very likely you get fake items
Greetings

I´m not quite sure thus asking you guys. Are those fakes or good ones?

2pcs Original ELNA Lao 10000uf 63V Audio Top Power Electrolytic Filter Capacitor | eBay

100% fake!! These are looking as 30mm dia's on the picture !!! & with a fake ELNA dress.

ELNA LAO Catalog: http://www.oemsec.com/upfile/pdf/2013013103/ff01e4da-d943-416b-a1b1-b28e03fce831.pdf

If you order, they probably send you a completely different looking cap and claim it is the same and original. Many here on DiyAudio have had this experiance.

When you complain further, they ask you to return them for refund, but the return postage is probably much higher than what you paid, so what to do then???

If you go to Mouser Austria, you can chose from 27 guaranteed non fake types in f.ex. 10000uF/63V 10mm snap-in.

Alu-Elektrolytkondensatoren - einrastend | Mouser

They sell to private persons too and free P/P for purchases over €65/$100

I doubt that they are false.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Those on the picture really looks like original ELNA, but not in the catalog?

But it will cost you $14 to find out if you get the same as shown there, or different ones claimed and guaranteed to be same by the seller..........

Strange that people don't give negative feedback to these slick seller, that try to tire you out by endless messages and make promises about resend and refund and then don't keep the promises etc etc

See my answer in the post above and earlier posts in this thread, about the tricks they use now, sending you other items.

Interesting article on the subject of fake caps, already from 2010 by Mark Rinehart in Shenzhen Standard:

"Beware of Counterfeit Capacitor Products

How difficult is it to fake passive components? Unfortunately, not much more difficult than finding a decent printing company, a good barcode printer and someone that can spell.

A few weeks ago, Nichicon, makers of various kinds of capacitors for electronics, electric apparatuses and power utilities warns the public that “Recently, it has been reported that counterfeit Nichicon capacitor products are turning up in the market. These counterfeit products are not produced, nor guaranteed by Nichicon. They are of inferior quality and could cause end product failure as well as possible safety hazards.
..................................."

Beware of Counterfeit Capacitor Products | Shenzhen Standard

Attachments

• RealElna-3.jpg
    RealElna-3.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,034
I doubt that they are false.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Did you read what I wrote or just write ...........................:D
I ordered from the guy and he sent me fake junk garbage. Is these clear enough to you!!
I complain at Ebay and he refunded me with out I ever needed to return the caps.
He had only one request not to mention he sell fake Elna-s and not to leave negative feedback.
Positive feedback mean not much if people can not see or know the difference between orig and fake.
My parts was not even match to the pictures. If you cut the top sleeve (picture does not have top sleeve) the caps are marked as Nichicon, why you say is not fake... Please do not mislead people to waste their own money.
On the pictures those are real Elna but he sell and ship FAKE parts.
Please order a few from these guy and after share your opinion.
No hard feelings just make me upset when I got the experience by ordering and ..................
Greetings

Last edited:
Both Panasonic and Rubycon warned in annual reports that chinese fakes had appeared the eye couldn't distinguish from real anymore, years ago now... luckily we talk about bad fakes most of times here. If fake explodes we find visual confirmation for fakeness after that, perfect looking fakes exist too... Panasonic now also has chinese factories, for real that doesn't help... it won't go away for next 20 years, then we get african fakes...

If you still have doubt about please see post 17, those caps wans sent by these seller.
I still have the pictures so i will post them here to

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,001
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.