Faital 3FE22 zebrawood project almost done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When we reorganized the living room, my stereo system went away ("it takes up too much room"). I decided to build a 2.1 system and built a small (8") "subwoofer" with a 2.1 amp from Madisound (a Keiga). The idea is the sub w/ the plate amp would sit under one of the walnut end tables I made, and you wouldn't even see the thing.

That amp didn't have enough power for the listening levels I desired. I tried an amp from Parts Express. Nope. So a new build was commissioned with an amp from a Logitech Z-2300 system ($25 or $35 on eBay). That one worked, plenty of power. The driver is an 8" woofer from an old pair of ADS L810 speakers. The box is sealed. The bass is spectacular for such a small box.

I then went through several satellite speaker choices. Most of the small satellite speakers are pretty inefficient. I tried Boston Acoustics and Klipsch stuff. Meh. So when I saw a pair of Faital (Italian) full-range drivers with decent sensitivity, I jumped. That was the 3FE25.

The first pair I built was pretty weird, using PVC pipe enclosures with CNC'd baffles. Wife was NOT amused.

I had planned on making some using black pipe and Corian baffles (and I actually still plan on this), but in the meantime, used some zebrawood I had on hand to make some more conventional boxes. I kept the 3FE25's in the PVC enclosures and ordered some 3FE22's for these.

I know solid wood isn't ideal for loudspeakers, but at this size it is fine. Companies like Cizek built small satellites from solid wood with dovetailed corners and they're still around today (and pricey if you can find them). And they're 30-40 years old now.

I never thought I'd say this, but these little full-range drivers are awesome. I really expected I'd miss some high-frequency extension due to the lack of a tweeter. I also worried about beaming. All those concerns were for nothing. My ears are very happy with the results. I can listen to these all day w/o any sort of fatigue. I now want to try other full-range offerings.

I've included a pic of the PVC version with the 3FE25, too.

I want to find some plastic to make my grills. I've left a gap around the perimeter of the baffle. I need to find something like plastic gutter leaf guard that I can cut a little wide or tall and spring into the gap I've left. Any tips for a material would be welcome. Something that isn't just black (like a neat fire-engine red) would be bonus points.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• faital_3fe22_1.jpg
    faital_3fe22_1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,078
  • faital_3fe22_2.jpg
    faital_3fe22_2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,025
  • faital_pvc_rev1.jpg
    faital_pvc_rev1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,016
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Beautiful box! How did you do the conplicated flush rebate? You picked a fine driver, in fact, one of the best available for sound quality as evidenced by the poll ranking in the Comparo thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/270614-subjective-blind-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers.html

The 4ohm variant was tested in the companion "Objective Comparison..." Thread - they sound similar though.

For 91dB sensitivity speakers that are this smooth and in the 3in size there really isn't any competition. The TC9FD is smoother but lacks the +6dB sensitivity boost the 3FE22 brings.

More folks should try this driver - one of the great gems. The 3FE25 also sounds fantastic and costs a lot less at $19 in the US.

If you want a great sounding low cost amp to go with this driver look at TPA3116D2. Should be better sounding than Logitech amp.

I cut the sides, top, and bottom, and then created the dovetails with a Keller DT jig on my router table.

Next, I clamped the pieces together and used a Lee Valley box-top/bottom cutting bit to create a rebate 1/2" from the front/back.

I cut two pieces of 1/4" hardboard and glued the cabinet up.

Now I used a template bushing in my router table with spiral bit and cut the center of the hardboard pieces out. This created front/rear battens for my baffle and back to rest on.

Now I cut the front/back panels and I used my router table to create a 1/8" deep and wide groove around the edges.

I hope that makes sense.

And yeah, I'm thrilled I found the 3FE drivers. I just lucked into it, looking only at sensitivity.

I'm going to keep the Logitech amp. I'm under strict orders not to garbage-up the living room with gear. It sounds fine to me.

Last edited:
Nice job, cgallery.

What Keiga 2.1 amp did you abandon? We have one that came with compression boards installed in the HF amps that really degraded the amps performance. Removing them made quite a diference.

dave

I had a 2.1 unit sold by Madisound, I think it was the KG-3100.

It offered plenty of bass but the 20-watts it provided for the satellites felt more like 1-watt.

The amp from the Logitech Z-2300 is a beast. It has a large toroid and I have plenty of headroom. I don't need it THAT loud but the Keiga ran out of steam before the party even started.

Is the KG-3100 the model you modded? I'd like to read more on that, because I still have the enclosure (sold the amp) and could put that kit back together again.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The 3FE22 16 ohm as measured by DATS v2 is pretty spot on (Qts, Qms, Qes, Vas, BL, Re) . The sensitivity at 16ohms is only 85dB though, not sure if this is correct? I don't have 4 ohm handy but I recall that one being much louder.

Here is factory specs:
http://www.faitalpro.com/products/files/3FE22/16/3FE22_datasheet_16.pdf

Here is what I just measured:
471751d1426393789-faital-3fe22-zebrawood-project-almost-done-3fe22r16-dats.png

Attachments

• 3FE22r16-DATS.PNG
    3FE22r16-DATS.PNG
    80.9 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
What is a slim P3? The laptop?

In that last pic (PVC enclosure), there is a small player with a green fluorescent screen. That is a Slimp3 player, which started what became the Squeezebox player line which Logitech acquired and drove into the ground.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi w/ Sqeezeplug distro now, it its place. This gives me a software-based equalizer to use, which is handy because the original driver Logitech used for the sub was substantially less sensitive than the ADS 8" driver I'm using, and it also allows me to tame some room modes.

Sorry for the OT, but which EQ do you use for squeezeplug?
I have a picoreplayer and a pogoplug (Arch) in my arsenal and haven't been able to figure out EQ just yet.
Thanks!

I hope I'm allowed to post links:

Raspbian: the great Equalizer | Squeezing a Raspberry Pi

The instructions weren't intended specifically for the Sqeezeplug but I was able to adapt, so you can hopefully make this work for you as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.