Fading or Frying Fender Clone Issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I tried a pair of these in a transformer sound off in a 300B SE amp with 60 mA of current flowing through them.

According to specs maximun current for these is 40 mA; the 125 CSE can handle 60 mA.... umm...interesting... i may try them as well in the future. Thanks for the info.

By the way, this off topic...some people need a fan with their el84's...what would you need with a 833 amp? I have lived in South Florida....you're a brave man.

Al.

AGH:dead:

I am swapping out the PT to a smaller unit. I had 396V at the plate. Lord knows what the MA was.

I am going to just save the original PT for a future project.
Actually, I have a second project started and looking at it, I may be better off putting that transformer into it seeing as it came from a very similar circuit.

I must be a sucker for punishment haha, Yesterday my gal bought me a hammond organ model 112 and a 6W heathkit amp W/schematics and assembly manual that has 12A6's as outputs,
Metal type used as output amplifier in airborne equipment. Requires octal socket and may be mounted in any position.
Oh Boy haha.

Looking inside the hammond, 1 nice chassis with a pair of Mullard 6BQ5's and a few 12AX7's Yummy!

anyways, I have the transformer just about swapped out and should be testing this afternoon.
gene

wes-ninja250 said:
L-112, or H-112?

And, I hope I'm not reading that you're planning to rip apart a Hammond tone-wheel organ for it's amplifier. That would be ... sacriledge!

Wes

Ummmmmm,

It had a fried motor, messed up keys,broken pedals,cabinet was in sad shape.
Model L & its already history. I saved the tone wheel assembly.
I know what ya mean though, then again it was a $5.00 item. Out here by me its rare to see an organ sell for OVER $25.00

I Still have 3 more in my garage that were all purchased at either estate sales or auctions. A B-3 for $3.00! go figure huh.
gene

Stalker, the house has central air, there is an additional room air conditioner in my work room, and it couldn't keep up with the heat from the 833A prototype. When the final amp is finished, I plan to use a small fan and a clothes dryer vent to pump most of the heat outside the house!

About a year ago, I found an old tone wheel Hammond in someones trash, unfortunately it had been sitting outside for a long time. I kept the amp, and the tubes. If I remember right it has 6V6's.

I also have an old Heathkit amp that uses a 12A6. It was given to me some time ago, and I never tried it.

Whoa,

Transformeer transplant complete ! Problem solved.

I have to stop watching home improvement re-runs, "More Power" Is not always a good thing!

I also have an old Heathkit amp that uses a 12A6. It was given to me some time ago, and I never tried it.
If you ever find yourself needing the schematic or manual for that baby, I can scan it in and email it over.

I always fear not supplying enough verb from my power transformers and tend to over do it I guess. I suspect that's something I need to watch more closely. Theory and design limits are not my strong point, But I make up for it with persistance.
Gene

With 396 volts the 5881 should have worked OK. I have a feeling that the tube was drawing too much current for that little output transformer to take. Lowering the voltage also lowered the current, and your 6V6 will thank you for it.

Does it sound the same, albeit a little bit quieter? Or have you lost some of that zing that a tube on the edge of meltdown gives?

Interestingly,

The Bluezy breakup we all love has actually improved. I thought that it would have gotten a lot cleaner not pushing the 6V6 as hard.

At this point I am fairly impressed with that little OPT. Considering the abuse it just withstood it just keeps going & going.
I should have a nice sound clip in a day or two.

I popped the 5881 back in just to see how it responded, It was a bit louder, But also a bit cleaner which surprised me. I currently have a nos 1963 RCA Blackened glass 6V6gt in the amp, A nos RCA 12AX7a orange labeled grey plate, and a Sylvania Black Plated rect. That seems to be the best overall setup.
I had an Amperex 12AX7 in there and the High-end & Brightness was overwhelming enough to set the treble control to about 10%. My Mullards all sound muddy and dull! My brother loves them, But to me they seem like they lack detail. The GE long plates I tried were fair, And The 12AX7EH Electro Harmonix would actually be my second choice over the RCA. Still have a few others to try out, Some long plates and some Tung-Sol and some various nos black plates.

The Bass control must be typically fender, Only the lower 1/4th of the control has any noticeable effect. No lack of bass, Just not a very linear control of it.
Gene

hey,
You can abuse the crap out of some of those old 6v6s..
I got a SF champ that is running ~400V on the plate and screen. I have a rca 6v6gta in there and the screen lights up momentarily on heavy signal when the amp is dimed. But it won't die! I did increase the screen stopper(or whatever) resistor and increased the cathode bias resistor a little, but it still glows. Sounds great. That little champ OPT gets hammered. Probably puts out a half watt at 100Hz before saturating to hell. Mids are tastey though. I don't think bandwidth was ever a priority.... 8" speaker, 8oz OPT. Yeah...

zarniwoop said:
hey,
You can abuse the crap out of some of those old 6v6s..
I got a SF champ that is running ~400V on the plate and screen. I have a rca 6v6gta in there and the screen lights up momentarily on heavy signal when the amp is dimed. But it won't die! I did increase the screen stopper(or whatever) resistor and increased the cathode bias resistor a little, but it still glows. Sounds great. That little champ OPT gets hammered. Probably puts out a half watt at 100Hz before saturating to hell. Mids are tastey though. I don't think bandwidth was ever a priority.... 8" speaker, 8oz OPT. Yeah...

This baby has primarily been plugged into a 4ohm Hartke 4X12 Cab. I was getting the breif screen light up but then It proceeded to start acring across the solder lugs on the socket.
Then It would sprial down to a badly distorted plunge to about the level of a nasty old 5 transistor radio with a bad battery
:bigeyes:
I wasted 1 NOS Tung-Sol 6V6GT in the process. I am guessing that the Oem OPT Vs the Drop In replacement must be the limiting factor. They suggest a maximum current draw of 40MA. I am certain I had gone well beyond that. Or at least lets say that the vaporized solder smoke smelled well beyond that.

Eh, I am very happy with the amp now, I have about 3 hrs use out of it today, No evident issues. Now I am starting a Modded Tone Section Deluxe Model 5D3. Stock except I am switching it to include seperate bass/treble control and adding master volume.

Chassis Is already punched,Trannies mounted, Filaments wired,Another Triode Electronics OPT ( TF110-48UL )
Let The Fun Begin :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.