F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Report back

No HUMMMM. It is gone forever.

First, I did everything you've suggested. And that took care of the grouding issue. No cap buzzing no bloody more.

But the trouble maker was nigh by but so far away. It WAS the BLOODY AC supply line to the relay board running next to my input wires. I should have known better!

Now, it's dead quiet.

The sound. Yes, the sound. I used to run 6sn7gt (12sn7gt for ecnonomic reasons) pre and 6bg6g pp power (said to be close to 6L6).

The tubes have the mids. But the B1 and f6 are very close...very.
The highs and the lows. The B1 + F6 have it. Hands down. Highs are silky...not fatiquing at all. Mind you, my HF are horns. The bottom...tight and no fart bass coming out at all.

I am going to post this over to B1 section as well. But 2picoDumb. You are the man. Thanks so much for sticking with me. And everyone, you are class acts. Thanks

Papa...thank you and your generous spirit is unmatached. Thanks

Now i gotta go fix my AC pump! dang...but my new friends the B1 + F6 will be singing while i am working.

Bob's your uncle

He is angry mate. Take a look at his last post. May be he has an anger issue.
He often remarks Fugly to random diyers' proud master peices. :D

Oh, did you end connecting the earth wire to the meanwell chassis?
This is a good idea to shield radiated noise.

No worries. It's all good! Really. Dead quiet. My LF is 95+db and the HF well above 100db (horns). Not hearing anything!

Thanks again

The sound. Yes, the sound. I used to run 6sn7gt (12sn7gt for ecnonomic reasons) pre and 6bg6g pp power (said to be close to 6L6).

The tubes have the mids. But the B1 and f6 are very close...very.
The highs and the lows. The B1 + F6 have it. Hands down. Highs are silky...not fatiquing at all. Mind you, my HF are horns. The bottom...tight and no fart bass coming out at all.

The mids/highs do seem recessed a bit on the F6. I have level controls on my speakers and always had the mids and highs set at half way with other amps. With the F6 I had to max them out.

The mids/highs do seem recessed a bit on the F6.

I have no experience with other First Watt amps. So, I have no idea how F6 sounds in comparison to other amps. I have two way speakers that consist of Altec 414s and B&C compression drivers. I believe they were crossed at 1200. The mid sounds good to me but a little thinner than my tube set up. The highs are better than my tube set up to me. But it is based on my subjective experience. So who knows? But I am extremely happy with what I have, for here and now.

I have no experience with other First Watt amps. So, I have no idea how F6 sounds in comparison to other amps. I have two way speakers that consist of Altec 414s and B&C compression drivers. I believe they were crossed at 1200. The mid sounds good to me but a little thinner than my tube set up. The highs are better than my tube set up to me. But it is based on my subjective experience. So who knows? But I am extremely happy with what I have, for here and now.

My restored Fisher 400 Receiver (tubes) beats any amp I have had to date for overall listening enjoyment. This includes two Rowland Model 1s in bridged mono, an Amber ST70, a Proceed Amp 3, my Restored Pioneer SX-1250, and yes it edges out the F6 IMHO. If 25 WPC is enough for you the Fisher (when restored) is very hard to beat.