F6 Amplifier

Nice one Justin :)

But look what I got :)

attachment.php

They are breeding... soon I will have four :)

Attachments

• DIM_2809.jpg
    DIM_2809.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 614

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Some experience from Saturday playing with my F6(no THD analyzer yet, only ones attached to my head):
1. I had F6 with no FE degeneration and R13=0.1R R=0.
Very deep soundstage, but too much distortions -- harshy sound.
2. Same but R13=0.05R. Better distortion and almost same soundstage. Just didn't like its tonal balance.
3. Symmetrical one with variable 2nd harmonic from the F6 article. Very clean like F5.
4. Made 5 turns of trimpot to make a neg. phase shift (I.e. R13). That's it! Like it better than everything. Soundstage, clean and very soft and pleasant tonally.
:) for what it worth.

Just measure whole amp while adjusting. At the end of the day, it is the final sound you are trying to manipulate. You may find lowest distortion on FE does not result in best sound. I am not 100% sure lowest THD on FE will result in lowest THD in final product, but could be wrong. Perhaps Ilquam or others can comment. If you want t measure just FE, you can pull transformer and load FE with 10K resistor to ground and measure.

Boys, how can I measure THD spectra of F6 FE? If I make output Rs symmetrical and measure the whole amp will it be enough?
I recently tried adding a 10 ohm pot between the source pins of the JFETs with the wiper to the transformer primary. Measuring the end-to-end THD, I could not detect any significant change with different wiper positions. My conclusion is that the FE distortion is so low compared to the output stage that source resistors make no difference other than to reduce the JFET current.