F6 Amplifier

make one F6 with SS , and another one with plain vanilla

then call them as you want

:clown:

sort of following on from that and relating to what Antoinel said in post 2927...I was just thinking(v. dangerous for me) that if Papa has all the SS stock then there is little point in him designing for us(diyers) because we can't build such designs without the devices(unobtanium).......

so what is Papa going to do with all that stock!!:

a) build like J2(not for diy) and keep some back for failure replacement(what failure!)....

b) release some, or design for those lucky enough to have a stash.
c) scrap the stock
d) find drop in replacement

I was just thinking, that's all

Papa? :)

sort of following on from that and relating to what Antoinel said in post 2927...I was just thinking(v. dangerous for me) that if Papa has all the SS stock then there is little point in him designing for us(diyers) because we can't build such designs without the devices(unobtanium).......

a) build like J2(not for diy) and keep some back for failure replacement(what failure!)....

c) scrap the stock

seems like a very good investment to me, considering the going rate on other highly acclaimed parts. ZM is always trying to get us to see that Nelson uses whatever part he has and makes it sound like he wants it too. The F6 is a very valuable deisgn, for one reason, IMO. It allows the builder to tweak and listen to harmonic structure easily. If yo u do this while measuring, you can get a feel for what you like and possible ways of achieving it. Being noobs, we need hand holding, being the master, i could give him some random $2 part, and h would fashion it into a sweet sounding amp. The ACA comes to mind. If you look closely there, you have a pretty good idea of another popular Pass amp. Nelson has bread crumbs everywhere. Just got to follow thm and do the work. Thats wher i fail every time:D

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I should explain myself. Most FW amps are low watts 5w-15w, but some are 25w. The F6 is 30w. The PS voltage is 23-24v on most FW amps. The F6 is also 23v. So, is there some effeciency gained somewhere in the F6?

From 6Moons article. "You've seen this supply many times and here it is again. It's got 18-volt secondaries that you can get from Antek or Plitron."

"As a push-pull Class A amplifier we traditionally expect it to operate in Class A to peaks of twice the value of the bias current. With degeneration a circuit designed to operate at 30Wrms into 8Ω in Class A would by definition leave Class A at 60-watt peaks. "

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Here is my P2P F6. Not exactly totally safe construction.

I biased at what I think if 1.5A.

Measuring V across resistors in standard Pass supply.
1.5 x .(4x.47R) in power supply = .176

No big sound evaluation yet, just one mono CHR-70 running no baffle.

I have ordered The Cree SIC Mosfets, and will modify this to use them adding more LED's.

Attachments

• Figure13F6.jpg
    Figure13F6.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 467
I should explain myself. Most FW amps are low watts 5w-15w, but some are 25w. The F6 is 30w. The PS voltage is 23-24v on most FW amps. The F6 is also 23v. So, is there some effeciency gained somewhere in the F6?

From 6Moons article. "You've seen this supply many times and here it is again. It's got 18-volt secondaries that you can get from Antek or Plitron."

"As a push-pull Class A amplifier we traditionally expect it to operate in Class A to peaks of twice the value of the bias current. With degeneration a circuit designed to operate at 30Wrms into 8Ω in Class A would by definition leave Class A at 60-watt peaks. "

When no degen., the mosfets square law allows one half to run more than twice the bias before the other half cuts off. This for class A power.
There is more power into 8 ohms because less voltage losses due to no degen..

Last edited:
Keep in mind, if you should go before your wife everything will probably go in the dumpster soon after your demise. Nothing personal. Just part of the grieving process for women.
My wife is of that opinion too; except her motive is cleaning rather than grieving. But my Threshold S/150 will be buried by my side or I'll will it to diyAudio's future museum of Pass Antiquities.

c) scrap the stock

Unfortunately, diy F6 is unfinished business. I have a stash of 4 R100As and that is no consolation; R100A appear to be obsoleteium . DIY F6 has no spare parts;and there is not a clear solution for its new output stage.