F5X -- the EUVL Approach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A SEN , a F5 like balanced pre-amp and F5X still don't make a complete chain.

What about an (ES9022?) DAC and a memory (SD-card?) player to make the chain complete?

Jan (I am not an analog only audiofreak, my NAD M2 is playing very very well ....., will my F5X beat it ???)

Last edited:
I wasn't going to tell.
But since you ask, the F5X Pre will be the last project we do based loosely on some published design.
Probably a F5X Turbo. But that is just a variant and not something new.

This year, we hope to finish our Hi-End "kitchen radio" -- the Sisters' Series.
This is all IC based (next to nothing discrete), and totally modular.
Up to now we have already 12 different modules, including FM radio, SD Player, Variable BSC filter, active crossover, MM phono preamp, .....
Ideal for beginners, many upgrades possible, and sounds so nice that you might not want to put it in the kitchen.

:)

Then next year, we hope to finish our Signature SD Player using differential PECL logic and discrete clock, 4x PCM1704, and a SEN IV not published before.

This will be followed by the rest of the Signature's Series, which are all our own design.
The entire chain in that series will have no global negative feedback (ZGFB), and operates in current mode between modules.
The power amp will, e.g., be a discrete JFET circlotron buffer.
Probably not before 2014/2015 though, unless I win the lottery.

And then maybe a turntable and tone arm after that.

Enough advertisement for now...... ;)

Patrick

Would the use of grommets in the bottomplate holes for the long transformer bolts be helpfull in order to improve the decoupling?

JBdV

A rubber sheet between toroid and cradle will do more than a grommet for the screw.
But do try it out.

Patrick

My goal would be to avoid metal to metal contact between screw and cradle.
I still want to keep the rubber sheet in place between toroid and cradle

Jan

I have been asked what relay we recommend for speaker protection.

For our own use, we use a 70A 24V automotive relay to shunt the amplifier output in case of a fault.
It is likely that all output devices would need replacement afterwards.
You can of course also wire the relay for Normally Open to be in series with the speakers.
In that case the same protection can be realised without short circuiting the amplifier.
But the relay is now in the signal path.

Other relays can be used, and there are many discussion on the forum.

Patrick

Donation to Japan Earthquake & Tsunami Relief Fund

The main group buys for the F5X (resistors, regulator FETs, boards, cases) are now closed, and we have a nice sum of money left over. Last weekend I made a donation on behalf of everyone participated in the group buys and was involved in making them happen. We as a group donated $775 to the Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund through GlobalGiving.org. This charity specifically targets relief of those who were impacted by the earthquake and subsequent tsunami last year. You can find more details about it here.

Thanks to everyone involved in the design of the project, organizing the group buys, purchasing the various items, matching the parts and shipping the parts to the group buy participants. Thanks also to those who participated in the group buy as you were a big part of making this donation possible.

It has been over a year since the earthquake & tsunami hit Japan, but I am certain our donation will be put to good use.

-Greg

Attachments

• Japan Donation.jpg
    Japan Donation.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 933

The main group buys for the F5X (resistors, regulator FETs, boards, cases) are now closed, and we have a nice sum of money left over. Last weekend I made a donation on behalf of everyone participated in the group buys and was involved in making them happen. We as a group donated $775 to the Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund through GlobalGiving.org. This charity specifically targets relief of those who were impacted by the earthquake and subsequent tsunami last year. You can find more details about it here.

Thanks to everyone involved in the design of the project, organizing the group buys, purchasing the various items, matching the parts and shipping the parts to the group buy participants. Thanks also to those who participated in the group buy as you were a big part of making this donation possible.

It has been over a year since the earthquake & tsunami hit Japan, but I am certain our donation will be put to good use.

-Greg

BRAVO!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.