F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread

Those values were revised and the reason of revision is already explained in the document.
Please read it through. The new values are valid.

Patrick

I read through the document and it is still unclear. In the document the suggested values for R32 is 2kohm and R33 / R34 is 120ohm which matches the BOM "description" in the protection board PDF document as well.

Alexis has provided different values as part of his group buy (2.7kohm for R32 and 300ohm for R33/R34). I am assuming the values provided in his kit are also valid. From what I read in the document, these higher values will result in slightly less sensitive trigger behavior during DC fault detection.

Is my understanding accurate?

Thanks!

Greg,

See post #474.
Nic used the Alexis values and his did not trigger.
Markus tested the new values with a full analog curve trace and it behaves as predicted.
So use the new values.

It is still on the to-do list of WK to get resistors and send to the local distributors.
He is, however, off for 3 weeks for personal reasons.
I think it is best to send those with the regulator heat sink sets.
But SMD resistors cost less than 10 cent each, and there is no reason to use special ones here.
So please go ahead and buy some from your local electronic shop.

I owe you one on this.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, that clears things up. I will go ahead and order the updated BOM values (2 kOhm and 120 Ohm). Shipping will cost me more than these (6) resistors, so don't worry about sending me the replacement resistors. You have already done plenty for this project. :)

Thanks!

As promised, be it somewhat late, here is a simple test procedure for the protection board :

http://xen-audio.com/documents/f5x/130603 Protection Board F5X Test.pdf

You should make the PCB repair as already posted by ashaw for Batch 1 protection boards.
You should also change the resistor values explained above on post #601, 602.

You should then, AFAIK, have no problem getting the protection board to work as designed.

Patrick

Last edited:
We'll organise something to send you in the next few days.

The assembly and set up procedure is exactly like what fitzfish has described in the beginning of this thread.
So we are not going to repeat those and only send those that have been revised.
Those include the component numbering and the Bill of Material.
The circuit remains unchanged since alomst 8 years.

Patrick

Last edited:
Not bad for an amateur SMD guy:

2013-06-16_12_10_05.jpg

Good liquid flux, tweezers and braid really helps.

Hi Patrick,

Finally with full load the voltage after CRC is 18.1V.

A dumb question, I don't have clear what is the right polarisation current per device. Now I have 333mV across the 0R22 resistor (Measured after two hours) (1.5A per device / 6A per channel). I read on the thread that the right value is 2A per mosfet. But with 1,5A my amp is hotter than hell :flame: . (6 seconds by hand test, ambient temperature 32 Cº) (The top panel is much hotter that the heatsinks).

Am I wrong? :confused:

Thanks!

> Before CRC = 21,4V

That is OK.

> After CRC = 19,8V

Difference before and after CRC is 1.6V.
R in the CRC is 0.67R.
So your total bias per balanced F5X is at this moment 2.4A.
Dissipation per FET is 24W per FET, so nothing detrimental will happen.

For optimum output at 6 ohm load, total bias current per channel should be 4A when fully warmed up.
Suggest you check voltage across the 0R22 resistors on the F5X PCB.
To be on the safe side you can start with cold bias (room temperature) of 1.5A.
That means voltage across the 0R22's should be all 0.33V at start up.

And please read Dave's excellent instructions at the start of the thread.

Patrick

Wrong.
The bias current passes through both mosfets on one side in series.
It's the same current in the N & P fets.

The other side does the same.
That way your total bias for the two halves of the balanced amplifier is two times 1.5A = 3A of bias current.

If you now add the right and left channels toether you will have the PSU supplying a total current of 6A IF you only had ONE transformer.

Each transformer supplies 3A.

In a standard F5X build the current is 4A.
All the fets were measured and selected for this 4A of current (2A through each FET).