F5X -- the EUVL Approach - The Build Thread

I did some drafting. A 10mm, 120 degree drill, may be barely to do the job if you cut the solder very short.
Of course 90 degree CSK tool is better. Or you can grind the 10mm drill to 90 degrees if your have a grinder.
Caution! It's dangerous to hand drill a 10mm on a plastic. You need very slow spindle speed and steady hand. Otherwise, you may drill through the whole nylon easily.
Mark

Attachments

• 101031-005 CAP HOLDER 4X-Model.jpg
    101031-005 CAP HOLDER 4X-Model.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 880
Last edited:
New PCB is the easiest, but also most expensive. Also Jan already soldered, so no option for him.
Since the PCBs are from a GB I can only accept partial responsibility (that I did not spot the mistake in the Gerber).
But spotting the difference between 25mm & 28mm by naked eye is a bit beyond the average visual capability.
So we'll have to charge say 50% cost (cap boards only) plus postage if you want new PCBs, unfortunately.

I am happy to pay full cost + shipping and do any leg work if needed. I would not like to see you loose any more money that you already have on this project, I consider the case itself as a bargain as it is.

I am an attention to detail freak and quite fussy, if the extra yards need to be made I’d like to take them :)

Not mention my terrible drilling skills...

Last edited:
I just used a craft knife to check how easily the Delrin cuts, by hand.

It was very easy to cut a chamfer around the one side that requires the clearance for the soldered tags sticking through the PCB.
Each of the 8 delrin holes were "moved" towards each other. I started with a 1.5mm wide chamfer, not quite enough. Then added a second cut increasing the chamfer to 2mm wide. Now the gaps are sufficient to allow the PCB to tight fit against the PCB.

But I found the 3 mounting holes did not quite line up.
this required the hand cut, one sided, chamfers to be extended to cut on the side of the holes towards the middle of the delrin.
Now the holes all line up and the PCB lies flat.

BTW,
I started with the PCB that had the smallest protusion on the solder side. This needed only that first stage of 1.5mm chamfer for the tight fit.
When I tried the PCB with what by my standards are enormous soldered pads then I found the extra cuts to 2mm and towards the middle were required.

It would appear that the way you solder will determine how much of the delrin needs to be removed.

I can confirm that the delrin cuts easily with a sharp craft knife. Mine is about 40years old on it's original blade that I resharpen occasionally with a stone or diamond hone, (not nearly as sharp as a new carpet knife blade).

Another BTW,
a carpet knife blade has a tip that is machined to 45degrees. This shape will make it more difficult.
I used a blade where the tip is cut to ~30degrees.

Last edited:
GB builders,

There have been a couple of additional errors discovered in the BOM recently. I would like to ask the GB builders with boards to review the BOMs and other documentation to see if any other errors can be spotted before we update the BOM again. We have had a few pair of eyes on it during development but are often too close to things to see some of the mistakes that would otherwise be common sense to us.

I will wait a few days to see if anything else pops up then post.

Thanks,
Dave

Maybe an additional BOM can be established for the elements shown in the wiring schematics of the whole amp (AUX transformer, current limiters and fuses for different mains voltages, relays, ...):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/183362-f5x-euvl-approach-71.html#post2959552

I do have a couple of questions related to the circuit shown above:

- What type of fuse and fuseholder do you recommend for the AUX circuit?

- How (where) should this fuseholder and the Finder 46.61.9/24V relay be mounted?