F5m kit

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You could buy two 4-pin Noctura fans and the off the shelf controller. I agree 3 pin are easier if your desiging your own contoller from scratch.

I think you can also run more than two fans on one connector if paralleled. I think I'm gonna give it a try. Cheap fun and learning.

The way I run such ( my old credenza and the 'data closet' ) is to have the temp AC controller, then get a 120AC to 5VDC brick... wire the fan to the 5V. You can tweak the temp settiing and use a very quiet, wide and slow fan. At some point, you tune it to where the fan will cycle on and off and will keep the cavity nice at the desired temp.

So was someone suggestion a train rail credenza as a more affordable version than full copper? 🤔

In all seriousness, hopefully we don't scare folks away from using a smaller chassis for the F5m such as those listed by Nelson in the article. I think the point of the recent talk of heat sinks is that whatever chassis you use, the thermal power dissapation must be addressed appropriately. There's a lot of options available on how to do that.

It's my understanding that the only way to get a Pass Labs forum member card is to be jested by Zen Mod a bare minimum of two to three dozen times ;) I'll get there someday. We all gotta start somewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
I know you all missed it, but I just wrapped up an epic Happy Dance on my way back from the mailbox!

View attachment 1284924
Lets tango!!!! Lol it looks like I am going to have to mount the magnetic donut vertically. Its in the mail, ill post more pics when I get it!

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpeg
    IMG_9636.jpeg
    503.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_9635.jpeg
    IMG_9635.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: 1 user
Class A amplifiers have a constant
power dissipation, independent of signal level.

My understanding of the class A amp is this:

The more you are enjoying it and cranking it up 🎺🙂🎸(higher signal level in and out) the cooler the heatsink gets.

…Since you then are diverting the heavenly sounding class-A- POWER to the speakers instead of just warming the heatsinks.

Right or wrong?

Reactions: 1 user