F5m kit

Joined 2011
Paid Member
... bypass the source resistors of the output fets with say 1F or 3,3 F supercaps?
It might be a good idea for you to calculate the (AC) current through each source resistor bypass capacitor, when the amplifier is delivering 40 watts RMS into a 4 ohm load.

Are supercapacitors available, whose datasheets guarantee a ripple current capability that is acceptably large? Are those supercapacitors expensive? How big are they, physically?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Generg,

where is node 003 and 004 on your schematic? Trying to understand how you have calculate this 😅

Hubert
Node 3 is at the gate connection of the J-fets and node 4 is where the feedback resistor wire meets the J-fet sources. The node numbers changes with every new added component or change in the circuit. So you must have a new look for the node numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
The usual First Watt cases are too big for my needs but they do allow things to be nicely spaced out inside. I have a case in mind for this project (the 250mm long version of an ACA case) but it would mean that the 3 boards and transformer would be quite tightly packed. I'm wondering if there would be any issues with hum or interference if I were to attempt this ?.

Similar thinking to Capt P, but whatever is the proper chassis size perhaps we should think of a UK group buy from Italy?
Well I already have one of these https://modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&path=284&product_id=733 which is the ACA case but with 5cm extra on the heatsink. It is rated at 0.47 C°/W. I'm looking for the smallest case possible (minimalist right?). The 3 cases quoted in the F5m pdf are all a tad too big but I'm not sure if there's enough breathing room inside.

Aha, see what you mean now, you can't find them in the store, agreed. For others reading this if you just search on "2U" and "3U" in the store instead of going to the chassis section you find a whole range of cases including the 3 in the F5m pdf but it seems that the store doesn't actually stock these.

Reactions: 1 user