F5 with 2SK2013/2SJ313

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Attachments

• ZM on vacation.jpg
    ZM on vacation.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 925
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
To quote ESL :

Capacitor Ripple Current
The manufacturers' ripple current rating is the maximum continuous ripple if the quoted life expectancy of the capacitor is to be achieved (usually 2000 hours, but 12000 to 26000 hours for some manufacturers). The ripple current rating is for the capacitor operating in an ambient of 85°C (or higher for high temperature types) and the maximum ripple current can be increased by up to 2.5 times as the operating temperature is reduced (2.5 times at 30°C), though going above about 1.5 times is risky because the ESR increases as the capacitor ages and causes more heat for the same ripple current. [3]. Personally, I prefer not to exceed the quoted ripple current rating.

Capacitors in power supplies feeding Class-A amps should be operated well within their ripple current rating. In a Class-AB amp, the maximum ripple is at maximum output which only occurs occasionally (if at all!). Occasional excursions up to or even above the maximum ripple current will not significantly affect the life of the capacitor. In a Class-A, however, the ripple is at a maximum whenever the amp is switched on. If the ripple current is at the maximum for the capacitor, the life expectancy would be 2000 hours (for the normal types). This equates to a life of less than 2 years if the amp is used for 3 hours a day.

A formula for calculating ripple current would be very useful, but unfortunately (despite claims made in some articles I have read), it is almost entirely dependent on the series resistance provided by the incoming mains and the power transformer. Any formulae that do exist are only true for "sub-optimal" values of capacitance (in other words, the cap is too small to be useful). The summary (below) has some guidelines that may be useful, but be aware that these are guidelines only - the final outcome has so many variables that it is impossible to give an accurate prediction of capacitor ripple current.

Remember that large capacitor values will have a smaller surface area per unit capacitance than smaller ones, so the use of multiple small caps instead of a single large component can be beneficial. There is more surface area, the ESR will be lower, ripple current rating higher, and the combination will most often be cheaper as well. This is an "all win" situation - rarely achieved in any form of engineering. An example is worth showing - the following details are from an Australian electronics retailer's catalogue:

Value (uF) Voltage Size (mm) Dia x H Surface Area (mm²) Ripple Current (mA) Price (AU$)
1,000 63 16 x 32 1659 1,400 1.95
2,200 50 16 x 35 1810 1,900 2.85
4,000 75 30 x 80 7634 4,600 14.50
8,000 80 35 x 76 8467 3,460 18.95
10,000 100 51 x 85 13779 8,100 32.95
Table 8 - Capacitor Comparison
For the sake of the exercise, we will assume that we need 8,000uF at a minimum of 50V, and with a ripple current rating of 7A - this is more than adequate for a 100W amp, and meets all the design criteria.

A single 8,000uF 80V cap could be used, with a price of $18.95, ripple current of 3.46A and a surface area of 8467 mm² Overall, a simple solution but ripple current rating is 1/2 what I want, so it is excluded.

Two 4,000uF 75V caps will cost $29, but have a ripple current of 9.2A and a surface area of 15,268 mm². Considerably more expensive, but very good performance.

Four 2,200uF 50V caps cost $11.40, ripple current is 7.6A, and surface area is 7,240 mm². The most economical, but there is a minor performance deficiency by comparison with the previous and next options (but you do get some extra capacitance). This would be my choice for most systems, as it meets or exceeds all requirements.

Eight 1,000uF 63V caps will cost $15.60. The ripple current is 11.2A, and surface area is 13,272 mm². For performance vs. price, there really is no contest. More effort is required to mount them, though.

Naturally, you could also use the 10,000uF cap, but why would you do that?
I shall leave it to you to do your own comparisons, but most of the time you will get similar results. This is a very good way to reduce the size requirements as well - it is far easier to fit a number of small caps into an enclosure than a couple of large ones, and since there is an overall improvement in specs as well as a price advantage, it is an elegant solution.

It is worth pointing out that historically, filter capacitors are the number one cause of power supply failure. This is almost always because of the effects of temperature and ripple current, and close attention to this is very much worth your while.

Last edited:
FYI

After reading throught this thread, I was keen on trying some of these fets in upcoming builds. I realized very quickly that they are hard to get a hold of now that it seems Zhoufang's stock is depleted. I have found another source that i believe may be able to loacte the parts in large quantity. After verifying that they are indeed real, I would be willing to offer a group buy if there was interest. Sorry if this is the wrong place to do this, but I did not know where to post, as I am not in possession of them and I am not a vendor

I got 8 pairs at 2 USD each from utsource, plus handling and shipping. I am yet to use them for lack of proper heatsinks.

The issue I have found with most vendors is the question of the authenticity of the part. Any transistor that is hard to find is up for counterfeit. Zhoufang just said that Toshiba has them officially labeled as Non Stock according to him.

I have a long list of PM that is not answered.
Will reply all of them by next week.
I just come back to Singapore from my oversea posting, service standard will resume to normal.
As Toshiba has discontinued nearly everything that I sell, I'm trying to make a last time buy.
2SK2013/2SJ313 is already No Stock until further notice. That is, if I can secure a last time buy, i will still have it for 2-3 years.
Wish me good luck.

Most places on this side of the isle has them for sale for 5$/piece. I am getting a smaller order to test. Just wanted to let people know of the possibility.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.