F5 Turbo Builders Thread

@Buzzford: i did it everytime, but that day just hurry to show it up, and make it until late midnight, too tired maybe...:lol.
Anyway, i also work hard tonight but just only can bring back 1 channel to work, another got fired that i still don't know reason. but one channel is good enough to show you all about narrow bandwidth.
Following Images series is what i measured for that channel.
Power Max: 19VAC ~45W
1KHz at output 3.342VAC.
1KHz.JPG

10KHz, output is 3.305VAC, slightly reduce
10KHz.JPG

15KHz, output is 3.257VAC, more reduce
15KHz.JPG

25KHz, output is 3.107VAC, reduce faster
25KHz.JPG

40KHz,output is 2.876VAC, too much reduce, look at the OSC you can see the sinewave much smaller than 1KHz
40KHz.JPG

So do you think that it has very narrow bandwidth?

Last edited:
I also did test with square wave.
1KHz, square wave is good
1KHz Square.JPG

10KHz, i don't know it is good enough or not, but it can show up not good as HF
10KHz Square.JPG

For Low Frequency, 100Hz
100Hz Square.JPG

And 25Hz
25Hz Square.JPG

So the Low Frequency is not bad.

This time do test i used 500VA transformer for 1 channel, so it should not the underpowered issue.

Bad FE Jfets, is most likely cause. I dont see any correlation to the mosfet bias offset, but I could be wrong. I think Nelson says original F5 can go out to 1Mhz. The mosfets were approved by Fairchild, through major ordeal, so their validity is not an issue.

Last edited:
Power Max: 19VAC ~45W
1KHz at output 3.342VAC.

10KHz, output is 3.305VAC, slightly reduce

15KHz, output is 3.257VAC, more reduce

25KHz, output is 3.107VAC, reduce faster

40KHz,output is 2.876VAC, too much reduce, look at the OSC you can see the sinewave much smaller than 1KHz
25kHz is +-0.6dB ref 3.342Vac @ 1kHz
40kHz is ~ -1.3dB ref 1kHz.
Not great.
But, did you check your input signal?
Is it constant at those spot frequencies?
Or does it too vary as you sweep the frequency?

I also did test with square wave.
1KHz, square wave is good
View attachment 325883

10KHz, i don't know it is good enough or not, but it can show up not good as HF
View attachment 325884

For Low Frequency, 100Hz
View attachment 325886

And 25Hz
View attachment 325885

So the Low Frequency is not bad.

This time do test i used 500VA transformer for 1 channel, so it should not the underpowered issue.

Square response is not good IMO, that much low frequency tilt is unacceptable ..

@ZM: I still have JFet that matched by seller from Japan.
With this F5T, I already tried try to replace all of other components. but not try another JFET. all of other changed can make the sound better, but F5T always get poor dynamic range and narrow bandwidth. So what the buzzford said the bad JFET also make sense. that's the only one that i can not change so far. i tried to bias from low (200mV) to high(450mV, used fan), does not help.
attached is some images of my JFET, i have both V and BL, see if you can point out it is the bad.
DSC_5042.JPG DSC_5043.JPG DSC_5044.JPG

I will tried to double them tonight and will let you know.
thanks

Zen Mod: it so strange, after double JFET, although i set bias to 0, power on and can not bias any more for N channel, P channel is fine. remove all FET and Diode to check is all of N are dead, P channel is fine, all diode fine.

Check Jfet section only, all bias work fine, i can bias for more than 4V, nothing wrong with JFet section. mount new output FET and diode, check everything by ohm meter, all are good. 5K trim port both well, set them to minimum value. power on, and can not bias on N channel again. trim port 5K on N channel can not bias for more than 2V. then check all FET on N channel dead again. :eek::confused::confused::eek:.
I don't have any N channel FET any more to play with.

Then i maybe not the lucky man, buy lot of jfets that are not good. Read in this forum, i saw lot of people buy a kit, and make it work without any problem. reviewed the sound and bandwidth very good. but me, and other DIYes in my country, no-one can make F5T work properly. sound bad and very easy to get fired at night or day, I also make F5 standard version, sound also not good either. we all buy jfet together from 1 seller. this should be the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried to order a TX 25V 1000VA from Antek, their website say EVERY TX in stock; availability is 0 ???
How could they be out of EVERY TX ? The phone number just rings and says no one is answering and then disconnects. Any Idea whats up? Last I heard they were training new employees....... sorta contradicts what their website and phone system is doing.
Ron