F5 Turbo Builders Thread

I mean you can never have enough amps IMO :D.

What would be better suited for my needs? V3 or V2?. I think its the V3 but I am not sure what rails to get and what to bias to. I think I should have the standard 32V rails with a 24V 800VA transfromer but I am not sure what to bias everything to. Now if I am reading everything I read correctly I will need 2 sets of boards for 2 pairs of extra output mosfets per channel on the V3.

Last edited:
rails voltage is what determinds what power you will get out of your amp. With +/-32VDC rails you get about 50W @ 8ohm. if you want a turbo V3, you need to crank up the rails a bit. to +/-45VDC that will get you to the 100W mark at 8ohm.
bias depends on how long you want the amp to stay in class A. if you want 100W class A, then the bias needs to be 2.5A or higher. or 0.625A pr device (0.3125V over source resistors) with 4 pairs. wich will calculate to around 225W dissipation pr ch + whatever dissipation you will get from the transformer, PSU and FE.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think its the V3 but I am not sure what rails to get and what to bias to. I think I should have the standard 32V rails with a 24V 800VA transfromer but I am not sure what to bias everything to.

Unless you are building some very large, fan-cooled enclosures, you will run out of heatsink before you run out of bias current...

The easy rule of thumb is bias until you have 65C transistors and 55C heatsinks.

Now if I am reading everything I read correctly I will need 2 sets of boards for 2 pairs of extra output mosfets per channel on the V3.

Yes.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Buy a bunch and match them. Not difficult at all, just takes a little time and a number of excess thermistors.

But, that's not going to do anything about the differences in the rest of the circuit that make the offset wander a bit until everything is up to temperature.

Like I said, If you are concerned, add a switch to the outputs.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no juice in "matching" them

matching wise - they need to be matched across entire temp. range , and that's Neverland

besides , there is entire bunch of temp. dependable nonlinearities - in Jfets and mosfets

what's needed is exact uniformity in physical layout = meaning how NTCs are mounted to mosfet body

6moon pics of F5 , look no further

Last edited:
I apologize in advance for being such a noob. I have been doing research and have read about 300 pages of this thread and am still confused on a bunch of things.

I was planning on building F5T V2 or V3 monoblocks, but am not sure which one is better suited for my needs. I am looking to get 100W class A into 8ohms.

First of all the Mosfets. The recommended FQA12P20/FQA19N20 seem to be very hard to find unless you want to risk buying them from china. Does anyone know where to source these? Then there are the Toshiba offerings (2SK1530/2SJ201) which because of their lower current ratings may or may not work, but are also very hard to find. Finally the ones that are still in production seem to be the FQP12P20/FQP19N20, IRFP9240/IRFP240. Which is recommended?

The V3 is the latest version, I would build that.
The FQP12P20/FQP19N20 are available from www.digikey.com
I have builld many amps with the IRFP9240/IRFP240 and they sound very good.

Have a good one,
John

I apologize in advance for being such a noob. I have been doing research and have read about 300 pages of this thread and am still confused on a bunch of things.

I was planning on building F5T V2 or V3 monoblocks, but am not sure which one is better suited for my needs. I am looking to get 100W class A into 8ohms. ............................?
Build an F5 before you make decisions on an F5t

rails voltage is what determinds what power you will get out of your amp. With +/-32VDC rails you get about 50W @ 8ohm. if you want a turbo V3, you need to crank up the rails a bit. to +/-45VDC that will get you to the 100W mark at 8ohm.
bias depends on how long you want the amp to stay in class A. if you want 100W class A, then the bias needs to be 2.5A or higher. or 0.625A pr device (0.3125V over source resistors) with 4 pairs. wich will calculate to around 225W dissipation pr ch + whatever dissipation you will get from the transformer, PSU and FE.

Thank you. It looks like a 1000VA 32V transformer will work wonderfully here. I think that makes 45V rails. Is it possible to bias the amp to 200W class A at 4ohms?

Why not build a BA3B to drive the F4's in bridged mode, the F4 has virtually no 'sound characteristic' of its own, and the BA3B is very similar to a F5X. Opps, forgot the Pumpkin :Pumpkin:

Ya I think I will start to work on a BA-3 or impasse soon. is there a difference between the BA3 and BA3B?

Unless you are building some very large, fan-cooled enclosures, you will run out of heatsink before you run out of bias current...

The easy rule of thumb is bias until you have 65C transistors and 55C heatsinks.

Yes.

I should do just fine with a 4U chassis I believe. With 0.31C/W x2, I should theoretically get about 45C (if my math is correct), so (again if my math is correct) I think it will work just fine.

The V3 is the latest version, I would build that.
The FQP12P20/FQP19N20 are available from www.digikey.com
I have builld many amps with the IRFP9240/IRFP240 and they sound very good.

Have a good one,
John

Thank you. They also seem to be in stock at mouser.

Build an F5 before you make decisions on an F5t

Already done :eek:

Last edited:
2x35V is needed to reach +/-45 rails under load.
4U 300mm chassis will get too hot. 5U will be needed here.
you want to stay between 25-30c above ambient.
25/225=0.11C/W pr ch. and then there is the thermal resistance of insulators and grease.
With the 4U 300mm chassis you may end up as high as 45c above ambent.

Thank you. It looks like a 1000VA 32V transformer will work wonderfully here. I think that makes 45V rails. Is it possible to bias the amp to 200W class A at 4ohms?...............
The transformer for a ClassA amplifier is typically 6 to 10 times the maximum output.
For 200W of ClassA output and using the general rule, you end up with 1200VA to 2000VA.

Another way to approach it, is to compare the maximum continuous output current of the transformer + rectifier, with the continuous bias current of the amplifier.