F5 Turbo Builders Thread

BigE,

On page 14 NP states

Turn this comment around and increased current increases the bandwidth to a point. Since the V2 is stated to have the same bandwidth as the F5 and two pair is the starting point in the comment about decreasing bandwidth it seems likely that a little more front end current will increase the bandwidth somewhat with 4 pairs. Will it be significant or more importantly, audible? That's up to you to decide. Build it both ways and report back. Those building 4 pair amps seem happy with a single pair, though. :devily:

So basically, in a 4pr setup with 1pr jfet you get lower bandwidth, and higher gain. However with 2pr jfet you get higher bandwidth, lower gain, but perhaps more punch?
Is that a correct assumption?

As i mentioned earlier there is perhaps a more important element than bandwidth that must be considered. Each gain stage creates a distortion profile and that distortion profile has a phase. Making alterations as you have suggested above will alter the final sound and distortion profile of the amp. I would suggest that there is more to be gained in this regard than in terms of overall bandwidth.

Thinking out loud here, hoping someone can confirm for me. I am cascoding the front end of a set of DIY audio f5t boards, I am trying to verify the values for R25,26,27 & 28. I will be running 32v secondaries, so figure 45v at the rail after rectification. Am I correct in trying to reduce that voltage down to 16v? I am figuring R25 & 27 values of 10k and R26 & 28 values of 5.6k. Is the formula 45v X (10000+5600)/5600 correct? What would the effects be of running the cascode voltage higher or lower? Stability?

Funny that few should be built. I've just heard one, and it slays the F5 in every sonic attribute.... just my opinion of course.

AudioSan, cutting the heatsinks in half is a brilliant idea. This means you get 2 * the cooling capacity of one, as opposed to something like sqrt(2)* the capacity of one.

That *is* a significant difference.

RE: diodes. What do people use for their heat dissipation?

Thanks!