F5 Turbo Builders Thread

I think he just turned the bias down because originally he set it higher than the advised limit by mistake as was testing for bias on the wrong resistor or something but I don't think his testing equipment is really upto the job as only has cheap multi meters. and I mena cheap..
iam going to try and get another friend to test with his oscilloscope the exact voltage on bias and if anything has been damaged from little fire. as it shouldn't be doing that. something must be significantly wrong with wiring or components or something..
by the way do you live in Norway by any chance?. my cousin lives there and makes seriously high end audio cables to order.

thanks for all the advice and have read it all. agree about the messy soldering and wire stripping. I think I might take it all apart and test every component and go from the schematics with my other friends help as I have no clue. only ever done basic soldering and basic fix's to audio gear.

gabsta. yes i do live in norway. right smack in the middle of the country:)
a cheap multimeter(or 2 of them) is all one need.
when the sinks are mounted this way, they are also more prong to changes in ambient temp. i still think that the sink is atleast partly the couse of the blown outputs and fire.
also i think the bias was set to high for the sink temp/Source resistance. and the fact that the outputs are mounted high on the sinks do not make things better.

Ah ok audiosan if you ever want highest quality audio leads for any of you gear I can put you in contact no doubt.
His father in law has gear worth over 100k and my cousin has made him leads which are way better than ones he was using
The sinks I can't see me changing but maybe I could rotate the boards but iam not sure if that would make any difference. What is the voltage you should set bias too ? As my other friend who is going to help me says basic multimeter wouldn't be good enough to set at 0.03 volts whih I think is what riki said somewhere around that but prob remembering wrong

bias is set over 0.5ohm resistors. so for 0.9A bias pr device. you chould read 0.45V over the source resistor. but you can't get it that high. after passing 0.7A pr device (0.35V) you need to be carefull and watch the bias. as the sinks get hotter, the diodes conducts earlier. you can take out the diodes for now. that will make it easier for you to get it up and running.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
since the F5Turbo is based on the standard F5, I suppose bias setting issues/problems are more less the same

its well know that bias can be tricky
but not so difficult if you know how it works

do it wrong, and it could be bye bye amp

is it the same as with the F5 ?
(if so, maybe there is much more info to find in F5 threads)

I suggest to also try and use forum search function