F5 power amplifier

Thanks for the detail Hikari. Seems you have really customised this build to suit your tastes, that's DIY done right:). I have Aleph 2s, and I can hear the difference when they are warm. The bias increases, and they sound much better, so I agree with you. I would be a bit nervous of running a mosfet that hot though. I think anything over 25W is maybe cutting into their life expectancy. I have not experimented with different mosfets, and I wan to try some Toshibas soon and see how they are, so thanks for the feed back.
Just a thought, as this is DIY, why not build two of them with 24 volt rails. Bi-amp and address your volume issue this way, best of both worlds:)

Hi Luke and Hikari !
Great idea, i was just wondering if you could use two F5s in parallel or on a bridge cofiguration.

I have it removed although I had it set to 10A before removal.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    916.1 KB · Views: 444
Happiness is an F5 running decent bias with good temps. Last week I dug into the thing again to replace some heatsink compound with some better silver stuff. In the process I discovered a reliable way of splitting mica insulators in half with a pair of tweezers. Solidly running 1.3 amp of bias now, I can get a good 10 seconds of skin contact on the MOSFET cases. I might try for a tad more and call it as good as possible. I'm surprised how much of a difference splitting those things with better compound made. Thanks for all the help and kindness!