F5 power amplifier

Sure there is - few cheap BJTs will do the job and won't sound worse than JFETs.
Actually, JFETs are replaced by Q3,Q4 (running at 4.5mA). Q1,Q2 make strictly neutral buffer that polarizes Q3,Q4.
Q5-8 make constant current sources for the input stage.

No need to deprive yourself of a good amp for such a trivial reason - lack of JFETs...

So what parts on mouser would be substitutes for Q1 and Q2?

A question to Juma, the answer can be buried in another thread. If so, apologize for my laziness.

No worry post at o4undred AM and U are ok.
The DIY audio "KGB" is only active in the morning UK public library time.:D

Sorry to any KGB member no offence intended. @ this early hour I fail to find words to describe old (1970 ish) OAP. whit Teacher/ primary student attitude

Never the lees WE reserve the right to make as many spelling horrors as possible

Thought Kryuchkov dudes went round in 3. One read one write and one keep eye on intellectuals.

Sort off remember this joke from when I was doing sound engineer duty for the 1977 Biennale
Hey old betamax where blipping heavy to slug round on a trolley

http://kumu.ekm.ee/images/dokumendid/naitused/2007/enrico-crispolt-eng.pdf

Hey guess who asked me to get my sweet 16 years old chicks on a yacht that summer.

I built an F5 this winter and after some brief usage something went awry and it´s been shelves since.

I have now replaced the K170/J74/ZTX450/550 and inserted matched Harris 240/9240´s on both channels.

Last nite I wired it back up and started testing, being only 50% successful.

The PSU provide 26,v/-26,2V with 53,4V being measured across V+/V- (400VA 2x18VAC toroid)
The PCB is DiyAudio v3´s and the schematic used is attached below.
P1/P2 is set to zero ohm measured over R5/6

I briefly got channel#1 running but the bias values weren't predictable and offset was measured to -0,6xV most off the time. So I shut it off, reset P1/P2 again to start over. Imideately on power-up R3 fried letting the magic smoke out.
The bulb-test on this channel btw gave only a 50% dimmed light, not completely faded out after the initial start-up surge.

Channel#2 biased nicely with anticipated valued and behaviour, with offset=0,00V

I would appreciate any input and help trying to understand whats going on :)

Attachments

• F5 schematic PCB v3.pdf
    103.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
The Bulb Tester is to prevent damage due to wiring errors.

Do not try to bias the output stage with the bulb tester in line.

It wasn't, bulb-tester only used on initial power-up test and removed from circuit when amp was being adjusted.

For R3 to burn out, then q1 must be shorted. There cannot be sufficient current through R19 (10k) to burn out the 10r.
That may be why you could not bias the amp.

The first adjustment went ok (as in no smoke) so it is likely that Q1 was damaged during that phase then. Then blew on power-up after P1/2 reset.

Thank you Andrew for prompt and concise reply.

Last edited:
I built an F5 this winter and after some brief usage something went awry and it´s been shelves since.

I have now replaced the K170/J74/ZTX450/550 and inserted matched Harris 240/9240´s on both channels.

Last nite I wired it back up and started testing, being only 50% successful.

The PSU provide 26,v/-26,2V with 53,4V being measured across V+/V- (400VA 2x18VAC toroid)
The PCB is DiyAudio v3´s and the schematic used is attached below.
P1/P2 is set to zero ohm measured over R5/6

I briefly got channel#1 running but the bias values weren't predictable and offset was measured to -0,6xV most off the time. So I shut it off, reset P1/P2 again to start over. Imideately on power-up R3 fried letting the magic smoke out.
The bulb-test on this channel btw gave only a 50% dimmed light, not completely faded out after the initial start-up surge.

Channel#2 biased nicely with anticipated valued and behaviour, with offset=0,00V

I would appreciate any input and help trying to understand whats going on :)

Make sure your k170 j74 are genuine. I was having similar issues but with 2 pair outputs. One channel k170 kept blowing and a attributed it to substandard k170 from a suspect purchase. Luckily I still had a stash of k170 from mouser. Proven genuine BL k170 and I was gtg.

2 pair F5 is something to experience...