F5 power amplifier

Just wanted to let you know I have (finally) completed my F5. Biased it at 570 mV (DC offset fluctuates around 0, +/- 2 mV). I let it cook for an hour or so, rebiased it and I am now listening to a great sounding amp!

Thanks Nelson for a great design and making it available to us :cheers:
And of course thanks to ZenMod, 6L6 and everyone else who has helped me while I was building!

Albert

Yet another sucesfull F5 build

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who contribute to this great community.
I just finished my F5, it is a wondeful amp, it is amazing the amount of details that i now hear in the music that were just blended or washed out.

I encourage anyone to build this amplifier without hesitation. I managed to build one, even if I'm clumsy. it is a bit pricier than I first expected (about $850 cdn), but then again, there is simply nothing in the commerce that i am aware of that will match it in performance for that price .

If I can come up with something worthy, I will certainly share it here!:)

Hi to all. I've had little free time in these months cause my job... Tomorrow I've put hands on f5 again. Short summary: I'm stuck in this build cause one board is faulty. In particular I couldn't have voltage through R7. Before the summer I tested Q1 with a simple jig and it seemed fine. Today I've changed Q5 with a new ZTX550. Now if I start turning P2 in a few turns I can measure 0.3V at R8, as I start turning P1 the bulb turns up! Do you have any suggestion? I was asked to stop at every step. Thank you.

i smashed my good ol´F5 with shorting the outputs :(
well, at least i´ll have a P3 pot in my new build : )

the last days i read a little about the F5t v2 , remembering Nelsons words "..sounds a bit more relaxt" more than that i really need more power with a new amp.

could anyone give me hint what to build...... if i don´t need more power than a F5 already has, does a F5t v.2 makes sense soundwise?

thanks
stefan

(and coudn´t one make the power-diode-source-resistor-override-trick for a simple F5 also (but i have to read the article again to understand (and again : ) ) )

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
could anyone give me hint what to build...... if i don´t need more power than a F5 already has, does a F5t v.2 makes sense soundwise?

A F5Tv2 will sound very similar to the F5. It has a bit less feedback and parallel outputs, so it's a teeny bit smoother and more refined. Also, with the additional power, it will clip later, and the sound of an amp, IMO, is how graceful or not it clips. It has P3, so you can also tune it to taste.

That said, if the power of the F5 was fine, build an Aleph J. It's a very different amp from the F5, very wonderful. You will love it. :)

Last edited:
Today after some logistical problems I finally received my boards ... so, my new adventure just started :)

Attachments

• 20141027_192236.jpg
    20141027_192236.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 489