F5 power amplifier

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:sarge: Nelson Pass also prefers not to have his name on boards without permission.
Sometimes people put his name on a board in an effort to thank him, but that actually causes more problems for him. He feels that his name is being used to market illegal boards. And with that logo, things are looking too commercial by far. If in fact the boards will be produced to sell you need to get specific permission from Pass. He actually does sometimes give permission for group buy type things, but not profit making ventures.

No, he can't, and it does violate a rule, but all one has to do is not get caught.

Law mumbo jumbo is pretty clear and straight to the point, e.g. "any means" is valid for whatever way ; Private, Non-Private, Otherwise, Anywise.
Basic rule set of civil law overhere, and as I assume everywhere. (law classes, not personal opinion)

Last edited:
No, he can't, and it does violate a rule, but all one has to do is not get caught.

Law mumbo jumbo is pretty clear and straight to the point, e.g. "any means" is valid for whatever way ; Private, Non-Private, Otherwise, Anywise.
Basic rule set of civil law overhere, and as I assume everywhere. (law classes, not personal opinion)

so what you are saying here is. NOBODY is alowed to draw the firstwatt logo on there privat papir.
maybe non better wright the name passlabs on the forum if we not talk about the bougth product then.
i have a diy bass aleph2 :p :D

The Pass logo is not identical to the word Pass.
Pass is a common word, the Pass logo isn't.

Put the Pass logo on something without permission from himmo, and it's a violation (copyright).
Someone did just that some time ago, btw, in plain sight, on a company web page (German one, afair)

BTW. is firstwatt identical to pass? :p
yes i now what you meen. but the rules only aply to products for sale.
not products in private ownership, that is not for sale.

Let me give you an example.

If someone makes an exact copy of a painting, say a fat naked bum Rubens, it would be perfectly ok.
The minute he signs it with a exact copy of Ruby's signature, he can hang it in the shower or the basement, but he's liable to accept government hotel coupons.

Here you go : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/131865-pass-logo-copy.html#post1639925

almost. it is leagal. but if i tryes to sell it......

your link did not show any logo. nether any answer from the man himself. so it is kind of useless.
and i belive it was a product for sale. (did not read it well)

Last edited:
Hi All
I have ridden an F5 and some songs I'm a bit short of power. My speakers have an impedance of 4 ohms with a minimum impedance of 3.2 ohms (40Hrz) and 90db sensitivity. What is the maximum power that gives F5 normal?.

Sorry if this question has already been cast, but this thread is very large and can not find. Ignorance is very bad :(

Br

AL