F5 power amplifier

Use a choke input to drop the voltage. A 2 mH 15 ga choke placed after the rectifiers and before the caps will drop the voltage. Provide superior filtering then resistors and will reduce stress on your transformer, bride rectifier and caps. Partsexpress sells them. Not as a cheap as resistors but a way more tricked out and better power supply. Used in better tube equipment of yore. This is what I am doing in my F5.

Use a choke input to drop the voltage. A 2 mH 15 ga choke placed after the rectifiers and before the caps will drop the voltage. Provide superior filtering then resistors and will reduce stress on your transformer, bride rectifier and caps. Partsexpress sells them. Not as a cheap as resistors but a way more tricked out and better power supply. Used in better tube equipment of yore. This is what I am doing in my F5.

I have lost track of what this references. This 2mH 15ga choke is dropping what voltage to what voltage.

Frangs,

What protection modules are you using ?

Thanks,

Davide

2x Mono Speaker Protection Module - each for on Channel on eBay.ca (item 300498437584 end time 28-Dec-10 15:21:31 EST)

They work great.
32A max current, 0.5V DC sensitivity, PCBs are mirrored so you can mount them symmetrically. They have RC anti-oscillation protection which I removed, because F5 doesn't' need it.
They can be connected to main transformer secondaries. They can be directly mounted to speaker terminals.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Almost ready to fire up my F5. I have a few questions first though.

- How critical is the value for the capacitor used across the transformer primary? I have a .022uF that is paper in oil and pretty beefy. Russian surplus. I also just purchased a little ceramic disc capacitor that is .0047uF. The schematic calls for .0033uF.

- My chassis is mainly wood with circuit boards and heat sinks attached. What should I use as the ground plane? Will tying the two grounds from the power supply board together with the ground from the mains cord be enough? Or should I choose one heat sink to use? Or should I tie the heat sinks together with another small piece of metal and use a point midway between them? Or I was also thinking i could put a piece of aluminum in between them and just use that. Any ideas on what would be best?

Thanks in advance. Can't wait to fire this baby up. I'll be posting photos once it's finished.

- How critical is the value for the capacitor used across the transformer primary? I have a .022uF that is paper in oil and pretty beefy. Russian surplus. I also just purchased a little ceramic disc capacitor that is .0047uF. The schematic calls for .0033uF.
The value hardly matters.
The type is safety critical.
Across the primaries, you should be using an X or Y rated capacitor, nothing else.
From Line to Earth you must use Y rated only.